Chromatic Scales in Sight Reading for school band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Nov 23, 2009.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    To be honest: I think it was a poor choice for a test.

As a band director I would never give one scale as a test to determine chair placement, unless I was doing chair placements on a weekly or near weekly basis. To be a true test everyone needs to play the same thing, and there needs to be something you can really judge you on, one single scale( with everyone playing a different one) is a poor choice. One data point is that, one data point. You need several things to make a meaningful placement.

You must also allow for the fact that the person grading you hears differently than you do. What you thought was an "OK" note might have been out of tune, and therefore a mistake.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Well, I played two other scales just fine. And I played the music fine too with only one mistake. Doing the Eb chromatic was such a stupid idea. But oh well, It;s only highschool, I play for fun and not planning on going into a career or anything with trumpet. Though, I really would like 1st chair!:lol:

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

It would seem your first post left out important information.

So you had to play 3 scales( not one) and a piece of music for someone that is very familiar with your playing and you do not agree with how they rated it?

Is that about right?

4. badabing

badabing New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    i don't understand what you are asking and why you posted this. are you looking for vindication? this is how the music industry works. you better develop a thicker skin. he obviously heard something on the other players that made him go "yeah... that was a better audition at that moment in time". maybe making the same mistake twice did it. if you're gonna go for harder, great. be sure you can first. otherwise keep it in the practice room until you've mastered and exceeded it. for now, play the part you've been given to the best of your ability and be a section player. there is no shame in that at all.

5. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009

I posted this question because I was wondering how chromatic scales are graded, and how serious my mistake was because I have two trumpet rivals I really wanted to beat this year and I was really worried. Sorry I may be hard to follow. I've got alot of useful advice for future auditions though.

Audition results came in today though, I'm 1st chair in the top band.:D

6. badabing

badabing New Friend

Jun 18, 2008
    congratulations are in order then. it seemed by your first post that results had already been posted and you were unhappy with them.

since every teacher is different, it is impossible to answer with any clarity how a chromatic scale is graded, as you say. there is no one single correct way to do it. there are many factors including how much weight is placed on the scale itself against other scales, and above that how the scale portion weighs against the rest of the music, weather accuracy is more important than musicianship, etc. there are about a jillion variables, and every teacher will figure them differently. you added one to the mix yourself by placing a higher technical demand on yourself. in the end, if the teacher figures them consistently (meaning from student to student) then it is fair.

:play:

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Passion,

Congrats! Enjoy it while you can and PLEASE don't ever rule out "anything on the trumpet". Career or not, keep it up. Find time to play and you will discover as your life unfurls that music is very important, no matter how you end up making a living. If you play until you graduate and then quit, I can almost guarantee that at some point down the road you will regret it.

Playing music is good for the brain and the heart like nothing else.

Please don't take this the wrong way - a chromatic scale is the same in C as in Eb, it just starts and ends on a different pitch. If you missed pitches above high C - well, because that partials are closer together, fingering those can be a bit tricky anyway. If you missed pitches below high C, then you made a mistake you likely would have also made playing the C scale. So what happened? Did you lose your place? Or did you get hung up in that upper third of the Eb scale? You got the 1st chair, but knowing why you erred may be useful.

veery

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009