Chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sofus, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    We have a friend of the family who is a nurse.
    During a conversation my trumpet playing was
    brought up, and she claimed that people who
    play "hardblown" instruments like trumpets or
    haut bois´ are risking to get the lung disease

chronic obstructive lung disease (COLD)

Since I have known many trumpeters, heard of
    even more as well as read about them, and
    since I not once have heard any trumpeter
    getting this disease, I now wonder:

has anyone in here heard of any trumpeter
    getting a lung disease due to his/her playing?

:-?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have heard of a saxophone player who started as a therapy to his lung disease (David Sanborn) and a trumpet player (Maurice Murphy) to whom some lung inefficiencies could not stop him from having a very successful and long performance career.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Yey, I´ve always thought that it is GOOD for our lungs!

Anyone else?

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    She's just wrong. It's also referred to as COPD, and risk factors are past and present smoking, low exercise capacity, and exposure to industrial pollutants.

There are a few doctors who post here regularly so we can wait for them to jump in as well.

I would stay away from that family friend for future medical advice...

5. Hycee

Hycee New Friend

Mar 9, 2009
    Phila
    From the Mayo Clinic:
    The risk factors for COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)are:
    Exposure to tobacco smoke. The most significant risk factor for COPD is long-term cigarette smoking. The more years you smoke and the more packs you smoke, the greater your risk. Symptoms of COPD usually appear about 10 years after you start smoking. Pipe smokers, cigar smokers and people exposed to large amounts of secondhand smoke also are at risk.
    Occupational exposure to dusts and chemicals. Long-term exposure to chemical fumes, vapors and dusts can irritate and inflame your lungs.
    Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This condition is a severe form of acid reflux — the backflow of acid and other stomach contents into your esophagus. GERD can make COPD worse and may even cause it in some people.
    Age. COPD develops slowly over years, so most people are at least 40 years old when symptoms begin.
    Genetics. A rare genetic disorder known as alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency is the source of a few cases of COPD. Researchers suspect that other genetic factors may also make certain smokers more susceptible to the disease.

Therefore, old trumpet players who smoke, live inside the airconditioning ducts in factories, eat lots of mexican food and chose the wrong parents are at risk.

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    In the past year I have been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary dissorder). This is on top of an allergy filled life, and a massive heart attack four years ago followed by triple bypass surgery. In my opinion, trumpet playing didn't aggravate the condition, but held it at bay all those years. My doctors are delighted that I continue to play.Toward the end of his life, Arnold Jacobs had greatly diminished lung capacity too.
    It is very frustrating to deal with!
    Roy Griffin

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Oh NO! Telling her that she is wrong will be much more FUN!!:evil:

Thanks for the great info, Hycee and RG111!!:thumbsup:

Good idea! Any doctors with info about this?

Anyone else with good info like above is of course
    most welcome to give his/her contribution as well!!:-)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    OK, from an M.D.: This is complete and total BS. I'm certain she could not provide you with any actual evidence backing this statement.

As mentioned above, the first, second, and third most common cause of COPD is smoking, smoking, and more smoking. If COPD is more common in jazz musicians it's because so many musicians still smoke, or are constantly surrounded by people who smoke. There is a very rare enzyme deficiency that predisposes some people to COPD (alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency), but that's genetic, i.e. inherited and RARE.

If anything, playing a wind instrument would be beneficial. Does your nurse friend do yoga or pilates? If so, ask her about her breathing exercises. How would those be beneficial, while blowing through a horn is detrimental? :huh: It's just another form of controlled breathing. If the air you're breathing is clear, no problem. If it's poison-soaked nicotine... 'nuff said.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Well, my own worries would be that maybe the high pressure
    and the general strain when compressing the air would do
    harm to the lung tissue like the "alveoles" (not sure about the
    spelling) or other lung tissue like that. Maybe also the pressure
    could harm the finer "branches" leading the air into those "alveoles" . . .

Since your a M.D. I´ll certainly take your word for it when you say
    that it´s all harmless!

10. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Hypotheses such as the one you pose are fine and interesting to discuss, but as a nurse (i.e. a health care professional), the OP's friend should not be distilling information as fact without evidence.

Regarding your hypothesis: Is it even known whether the intra-alveolar pressure increases when playing trumpet? If so, by how much, and for how long? Does the respiratory rate go up or down? Does carbon dioxide go up or down? Is the hemoglobin in the blood in the alveolar capillaries carrying more oxygen or less? How do the alveolar cells respond to any of these potential changes, and over what period of time would these changes occur?

Has anyone ever conducted quantitative studies about this, in a diverse group of trumpet players (both genders, different body types, different levels of skill, musical styles etc etc)? That would be a good first step to look at this, but even then I bet you'd end up with more questions than answers. Such is the nature of medical/physiological research! ;-)

Also- I didn't say it was harmless. I just wanted to point out that COPD is known to be caused by smoking in 99.9% of cases. I honestly don't know what the physiological effects of trumpet playing are.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009