Chronic Sinusitis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Is that directed to the part about the finger in the throat or going to the doctor?
    :D

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Gagging a little seems to help to clean everything out too, but the eustacion tube isn't that far back. It is what the doctor looks at when he uses the tongue depressor to see back in the throat.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The doctor is in:

Hmmmm... I may have heard of it and even treated one or two... thousand!

Here is a nice medical solution that works.
    1) Quick fix (temporary): Sudaphed for about 2 weeks, while you begin starting the second medication:
    2) Flonase, 2 puffs each nostril at bedtime. Give it 2-4 weeks to work before giving up on it
    3) If the above two don't work, then I give a referral to the ENT for PE tubes (ear tubes)
    4) As for the "Chronic sinusitis" daily irrigation with saline from a irrigation device is also recommended, once the passages are opened from the meds I mentioned above.

PS: Do make sure the deviated septum is not part of the problem as if I see that in my patient, I will refer before trying the above treatment plan.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Only listen to people that tell better jokes.:dontknow:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not me... when I am using my tongue depressor... I am looking at $86. (Add snare drum here)

[See, and example of a gag reflex - drummers have it bad]

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, the truth is, we can't see the Eustachian tube at the back of the throat. That structure is higher up and blocked visually by the folds in the back of the throat. I am looking for PND (post nasal drip) which is an indication that the drainage from the sinuses above is flowing over the Eustachian tube creating negative pressure that sucks mucous and bacteria up into that structure.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now when I am eating out at a fancy restaurant, after I crack the lobster open, I am looking for the Crustacean tube, for which I pay $86.00. Balance in the universe and economy stimulation is achieved.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    And the knee arm bone is connected to the.... ROFLfunny bone, and the .... tongue bone :-P is connected to the ...

Remember kitties vitamins are proven to both prevent and fight disease, no doctor or pharma pusher will tell you this, but it has have proven in medical trials.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's it!!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if there is balance in the universe -- then how come ole KT here has trouble sleeping?? (I sleep well, it's just that) - I cough when I go to sleep, if I sit up I cough, if I lay down -- my head has to be propped up and I have to lay on my side or I cough. if I prop my head up on 2 pillows, lay on my side --- -then I seem to be OK. I'm thinking, my overactive body is trying to "self induce" sleep by shutting off it's Oxygen supply ------ then I circumvent this by propping my head up, and all is well!!! ---- DOES MY BODY REALLY HATE ME, and trying to subconsciously eliminate me while I sleep??? or is my body trying to help me sleep???? interestingly, if I wake up in the middle of the night (bladder full) and take care of that --- then go back to sleep, my body is still relaxed enough to NOT cough, even if I take 1 pillow away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!