Church Accompaniment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DL TPT, Jan 21, 2007.

1. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I frequently perform solos in church and I am looking for accompaniment CD tracks to use. I prefer to use live accompaniment, but in my small church the number of quality performers are negligible. I perform all styles, but I am looking for jazz accompaniments. Does anyone know of where I can find any?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

2. masterfulmusic29

masterfulmusic29 New Friend

Dec 15, 2006
    There is the infamous Music Minus one. I would look at either amazon, pepper, or boosey hawkes. they will more than likely have what you want.
    James

3. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    James,

Thanks for the reply. I checked on those, however they did not have what I needed. Thanks for the input.

Dan

4. crash

crash New Friend

Dec 6, 2006
    Maryland
    I have used the Great Hymns and More Great Hymns books from James Curnow arranged for Phil Smith. Both Books come with a CD that has Phil Smith playing the piece then end of the CD has accompaniment tracks. There are some great flugel arrangements too! I am saving to buy a flugel just so I can play 'em so they sound right! There is also a Great Carols book for christmas.
    I got my copies at http://www.despub.com

Great Carols- Bb Trumpet (Curnow, James)[Appendix] With CD accompanimentCurnow Music Press - 44004680 - Level 3-4$12.95

Great Hymns- Bb Trumpet (Curnow, James)[Appendix] With CD accompanimentCurnow Music Press - 44003651 - Level 3-4$14.95

More Great Hymns- Bb Trumpet (Curnow, James)[Appendix] With CD accompanimentCurnow Music Press - 44005047 - Level 3-4$14.95

I have really enjoyed these books and CDs. They are great to listen too. Phil Smith has a huge sound with seemingly unlimited power. The accompanimant tracks are piano and organ and are very high quality, although it would be cool to play with an orchestra!

That web site has other books with CD accpt. as well.
    Hope this helps!

Craig Rash

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Dan;

Take a look at brasstrax.com. David O'neill puts out some really great track for trumpet (as well as other instruments). I have used several in my own church work.

the selection may be a little limited, but what he does have is great in my opinion.

6. crash

crash New Friend

Dec 6, 2006
    Maryland
  7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    we use a lot of Fletch Wiley books and accomp. CD's. his cd's are fairly expensive but the arrangements are really good. Dave

8. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    CRASH: Thanks for the information. I will definetly check into those. I have a flugel and it would be nice to have more arrangements to play the horn with.

dgt1959: I have a few of David ONeill tracks and I really like them. I am trying to find more variety to use.

Dave: I have heard of Fletch Wiley but did not know that he had accompaniment CD's available. Where did you get the books from?

Thanks to all for some great information.

Dan

9. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Naw...if you were REALLY good, you'd play your part by yourself and then just humm the accompaniment really loud each time you got to a rest....

10. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Naw..No Humming....Lets make it interesting...take the mouthpiece out during the rest and BUZZ the accompaniment. That would surely create some interest!

Thanks for the thought. You never know...I just might do it!

Dan