Church Choir Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Nov 9, 2009.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    But not at mezzo-forte.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, mf is a relative thing. mf in a professional big band is f in a brass quintet, and so on.

3. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    AMEN!
    I had the pleasure of meeting and hangin' with our MIGHTY MANNY LAREANO at those old beloved Monette Open house's and clinic (round 1999) and for years afterwards would make that treck from Seattle to Monette's factory for that very special one on one special occations where so many of us nerd-de-well toots could enjoy the gifts of some of our world's greatest trumpet artists.
    (It didn't matter a hoot-ta-toot) from either Dave or the gang of greats..what brands of instruments we would show up with. (Manny took my beloved old "pretty new then" old Callet large bore Symphony C and almost blew those tin walls of the Monette factory down with it before handing it back to me...with a big Manny-grin on his face and a wink over toward Dave....who then winked back at "bofus?" :)

David G. Monette Corporation
    Welcome

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Moses had some trumpets made out of beaten silver (Numbers 10:2). Cool thing was, there were no conductors!

5. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Hummm?
    I don't want to kidnappity' this theme... (YES..I DO) :)but my demented too many high notes damaged brass poisioned brain keeps thinking back a decade ago about those "resultant overtone studies that was so interestingly demonstrated at the Monette weekend open house clinics?
    THAT WAS A KILLER DEMO by Charles Schlueter icon and his fellow bunch of trumpet artists that I will so long remember.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Silver is an excellent conductor!:roll:

v

7. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Put another chair in front of you and hang a black towel over it. Then you can play into the towel, which will dramatically reduce your volume without distorting the sound... much. It's not perfect, but it's helped me out a few times.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I would not want to compete with vocalists or choir, I played only solos with piano or organ accompaniment. That's up front, and don't ask me to play otherwise. I've never charged a fee to play in church, so there is no point of negotiation. Too, I've always selected the song to play, though I'll accept suggestions, not that I'll use them.

IME, I only encountered one church MD I respected, one that played the organ, but was also a great horn player IMO. He just couldn't play both at the same time.

9. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I guess I've had different experiences. In my younger days I played a lot with church choirs and met many church MD's whom I admire and respect. I found that most, if not all of them, were doing their best with the resources available to them. My recent experiences with church MD's involve my children performing and again, I've found them to be professional and have a lot of respect for them. It's not an easy job.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When an MD does not respect me, and how I perform on a horn, how would he or she expect me to respect them. Positively, to the extent that they make do with what resources are available, to that extent I'll laud them, knowing also that many I've met likewise received no compensation for their services. This extends back to my early childhood through high school when I too was a regular member of the choir. Even as late as when I first met my present wife I was singing in several church choirs. I can count 7 that could play NO instrument, and add to those 7, 6 more that never studied music on a collegiate level. Although she plays the organ very well, the MD of the current church I attend admits she learned how to play from her morher and not in any formal setting, and likewise plays without compensation except for honorariums given her at weddings and the like. Still, she supported the trumpet solo of a sixth grader at recent Easter services, a child she knew well as a prior member of the children's choir.