Church Choir Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Pope

Pope New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    I always just stand in front of the choir, pointing directly at the congregation. I also try to stand to the side of the director, if there is one, and definitely never in front of the organist. The only time I ever sort of played at the organist was during a Christmas Eve gig, where he played Joy to the World at about half tempo. I tell you, he only played slow for about 3 measures. I find that the congregation will never say you were too loud. Just tell the director to walk around the church while you play something, so they can hear you once the sound has expanded into the room. Usually, they have no idea what it sounds like from the pews.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Interesting anecdotes here.
    kind of reminds me of educators.

We just have to realize that there are people born for this profession, people that choose this profession for lack of other options, and then there are those who do it out of sacrifice because no one else will.

It takes great management skills, intensive preparation and a certain amount of charisma to be a music DIRECTOR. I always get scared when I see conductors practice by directing CD playback. It teaches them to follow not lead.

The smart trumpet player does not point his bell at the director. You are then too loud when inhaling.

Don, those Monette open house events were cool. I also remember Manny and Charlie doing outrageous stuff back then.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've been hired by a couple MD's that were control freaks - "Here's where you stand and face this way." - Not a fun time.

One guy, an egomaniac-organist, I've just decided not to play for any more. I work in a smaller city (under 100,000) so I have to word my rejections carefully when I tell him I can't do the gig. So far I've been lucky as to have been booked the last few times he's called.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's a funny story - A small brass group was to accompany a choir piece in our church. At rehearsal, the director repeatedly told the trumpets to play softer during a particular passage. After being admonished for the third time (playing more softly each time), I whispered to the other guys, "just pretend you're playing at that section". We ran it again, and after that run-through, the director said "Yes! That's what I want!". We got a pretty good laugh out of it. :lol:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A MD who concurrently is th organist is the worst of the worst. As many know, an MD has their hands full doing that job alone well.

Our puny trumpets/cornets/flugelhorns just can't compete against the great pipes of an organ, nor do they have the electronic surround sound to play as quietly as that type of organ and be heard well.

Again, in the past if you wanted me to play ... It's solo or no-no.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Our Band plays in Church at Christmas - we take the entire band including Tubas and Trombs, and whenever I'm asked to play quieter I just shrug, point the bloke beside me, and qizzically lift an eyebrow - too easy really (but God knows, and hasn't yet complained - ooooh, is that blasphemy? :oops::shhh: Boy am I gunna get it in a few years. ;-)).

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    At ours, the choir is extremely small. So we actually fill in for it a lot. Director is part-time, and is getting burned out as well. Small church, not many to participate in musical activities..........Buck:oops: