Church repertoire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ehg3322, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ehg3322

ehg3322 New Friend

Oct 23, 2010
    Norway
    For my last church gigs are they paying me i sheet music. So i was told to write a list, i have written down the music i know about, but the list is still short. So can you guys help me, make a list of basic church pieces for organ and Bb/C trumpet. This would help me a lot!

Thanks ehg3322:play:

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I suppose the easiest way would be to go through a hymnal. There's quite a few websites out there offering hymnals specific to different denominations. It's not an offer to cheat per say, but just a much more concise way of coming up with a list of standards. Openhymnal.com might be a good place to start.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks, BHI! One more source I was unaware of. The web address may have changed a little: Open Hymnal Project - Free Public Domain Christian Hymns - Music Scores Home.
    Jim

4. BinaryHulledIon

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    My mistake. I haven't had any coffee this morning :p

The good news is that the .com will redirect you to the .org address. I'm a bit miffed that they use ABC intead of Lilypond though (if you're going to use compiled input, I don't see why you don't use the open source standard).

5. ehg3322

ehg3322 New Friend

Oct 23, 2010
    Norway
    Thank you guys, this would be great if i was ordering, but the church is buying the sheet music, that is why it would be Nice if you guys helped me with a list.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just a question, but why are they paying you in sheet music?

7. BinaryHulledIon

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    ehg, the core problem here is that every church is different. Your church may prefer a classic hymnal, modern praise & worship, or somewhere in between. The orchestra might work best with sheet music or it might be better off figuring it out on their own. The point is, though, since we aren't members of your church, none of us is going to be able to spit out a list of items which is suitable for your church (do they like call and answer? four voice harmony? big sound? rockin the steeple?)

Meanwhile, purchasing sheet music often means also purchasing performance rights (as either the arrangement or the music itself is covered by copyright), which can be an expensive proposition when you're looking at building a full repertoire.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    With the price of some music, he might be coming out ahead!

9. ehg3322

ehg3322 New Friend

Oct 23, 2010
    Norway
    There was to much hassle getting me in the system, so we decided to wait and do it next year (January), So they told me to make a list of pieces for Trumpet and Organ that would be good in a church setting. I have received to books, one with a collection of pieces made so one could bring and have a selection of different pieces made for Trumpet and organ (Pax Vobis)
    The other one, a collection of religious folk music arranged for trumpet and organ, for the Norwegian trumpeter Harry Kveb├Žk. But the list was still to short..

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me rephrase Solar Belll's question... what are you paying for sheet music. Borrow a Hymnal from your church and begin you experience. The list is on the inside of the cover.