Church repertoire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ehg3322, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It would help immensely if we knew exactly what church denomination you will be performing in.

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    There's a ton of excellent music for organ and trumpet and there's no need to limit yourself to hymns unless you cannot play anything more technically challenging. Hopefully someone can provide you with some suggestions. I can't because I've been playing woodwinds for the past years and personally don't like organ/trumpet literature anyway. If there aren't any players with enough hands-on experience to give you a good list here, go to trumpetherald.com and ask there. Their data base is larger.

Regarding accepting a gift from the clergy or congregation for playing in church, I'm not sure it's our place to comment on that. Not all situations are the same.

Regarding getting paid in music vs cash that's not so bizarre. Sometimes these things just have to do with budgeting categories. I wrote for a university drama department once and couldn't be paid in cash but was compensated with music paper and music writing materials.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. ehg3322

ehg3322 New Friend

Oct 23, 2010
    Norway
    They did not say anything about that, i have asked and they just say that i should list pieces I can use all year around in every setting. Im sorry I can´t be more helpful this had been a problem for me to.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If this is so at this time, were you I, I'd simply tell them to find someone else as I wasn't available on such terms as given. I'm not that desperate to perform.

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    FWIW, he has asked for advice for church repertoire, (trumpet/organ).
    He is from Norway as stated earlier in this thread.

I, as the only one has given him some inputs about repertoire
    and also sent him a PM with advices about MUSIC.

My common sense tells me:
    Answer the question given in the OP,
    instead of getting off the rails and make up a lot of nonsense.
    So I did so.....

6. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I think there's a cultural difference between the US and Norway here you're missing. What's appropriate in a Pentecostal church isn't acceptable in a Methodist church. What they do in an Episcopalian church would put everybody in an A/G church to sleep. So, the easiest way to find a list of songs to peruse would be to select a hymnal of the appropriate denomination. Deriding US members because they've done something other US members have found perfectly reasonable isn't necessary. I had assumed when you had posted advice in Norwegian that you had answered the question more satisfactorily that the question was settled, but others were still responding helpfully to the OP asking the very same questions that we had started asking presumably because they didn't make the same assumption I had.

tl;dr: Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO its not so much a doctrine of the church as to what music is playable and what is not, but moreso the governing control of the congregations. If it is a Christian church here at Christmas, I can't think of a carol that won't be welcomely received.

Years ago, (46 + )at a Protestant Christian Church in D.C. we sang Schubert's Ave Maria once through in Latin and again in English. There wasn't any immediate response from the congregation, but letters received subsequently, paraphrased, simply said how nice it was to hear classical Christian music. We subsequently sang Schubert's Second Mass aka Mass in G and I sang the solo baritone part with about the same letter response, but more of them. Well, the soprano and I broke up and I returned to my home church.

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Which highlights sticking to the original question...

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Amen. Save the personal agendas for another time and place.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'd just say to list the songs in his own church hymnal and see where that goes, however I wouldn't say that many in the several different denomination hymnals I have would be available in sheet music already transposed as necessary for Bb trumpet. I'm still asking if the person the OP is engaging has any association with a specific church, and if not given an answer to this, it's time for the OP to end the talk and walk.