circle of breath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Nov 6, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    can anyone please give me a link to Rowuks curcle of breath thread please tru=ied searching but can't find it.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    many thanks:-)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks Rowuk, for providing this link as I also wanted to get your perspective on Circle of Breath and what you say makes perfect sense.

I particularly like the comment Rowuk makes stating: "We then add the tongue at the top of the circle using a very clear Tooooh. Because we no longer need the tongue to kick start our sound (I think that this is your problem), We can use very little tongue motion to get a much clearer and cleaner initial attack. It takes time to synchronize the circle and articulatio."

I also find a neat technique is not using the tongue at all to initiate a note for techniques where the performer wants to convey a more sultry passage. This kind of gives a feeling of a gentle breeze. I find that practicing and using circular breathing during performances, albeit not the same theme as the circle of breath, certainly assists in achieving the concept.