Circular Breathing -is there a real use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe Piggs, Apr 5, 2015.

1. AK-tpt

AK-tpt New Friend

Sep 6, 2012
    Kenny G does a nice explanation of circular breathing on youtube - look for it.

Segaie Nakariakov uses it on his string transcriptions.

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I use it for long held notes in a piece where the section might have to use stagger breathing, and for held notes at the end of a song. When we play Tequila I hold a high A for 16 measures during the solo section. Just for show. We don't do this one often.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    My breath is circular when I hold my mouth that way on a cold, frosty morning.
    Sort of round, doughnut shaped ring...like a smoke ring....except not smoke. That is MY version of circular breathing.

4. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice post Mr. Magnificent. Chris Botti after his concert in a Q $ A Answer session said "I wasn't circular breathing"....

Very nice post. Thank you.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Australian Aborigines find a circular breathing skill is absolutely essential for effective Didgeridoo performances, and they have been doing it for more than 40,000 years.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- let's relegate KENNY G --- to his rightful place in the WOODWIND forum -- thank you -- ROFL ROFL ROFL ((saxophone players get brain damage when they do circular breathing) -- or is it that saxophone players are susceptible to brain damage from the beginning???

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ted, you're exaggerating! Forty thousand years ago is before recorded history. Anno Domini, were now in only the two thousand fifteenth year.

IMO, only Dizzy Gillespie developed the maximum cheek for circular breathing.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use circular breathing often. The biggest use is when playing the blues. I hold a note from the 1 chord throughout all the 12 bars, about 3-4 times through the blues progression, then on the 5th time through, I usually explode into a steady run of 32nd note bebop lines. Kind of he polar opposite of circular breathing. So yeah, it offers an amazing contrast, and gives "Flash" to the song. It is one technique that gets one of the greatest applause and positive crowd response. With that said, I use it in this way only once an evening. KT was in the audience once when I used it and I demonstrated it to him in the parking lot by his car after that gig.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The other time I use circular breathing is at the end of ballads holding an ending non-tonic note from the last chord as the sax player goes through an arpeggio of changes around that chord. This too is a very effective use of circular breathing in support of another instrumentalist. It does not get the recognition of my blues use, but does give a tasteful foundation for others to solo around.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The key to circular breathing is to transfer SMOOTHLY the pressure differential created by the diaphragm to the facial (mostly buccal) muscles.

So in initiating circular breathing, I first puff out my cheeks by tightening pressure against the mouthpiece just a bit.
    Then start an air-stream flow through the mouthpiece with the puffed out cheek muscles
    Breath in THROUGH THE NOSE while the cheeks are still compressing. by:
    RELAXING the diaphragm, it falls back into the abdominal cavity causing a rush of air back into the lungs.
    Then use abdominal contents and muscle to push the air out.
    While this is going on it is time to re-inflate the cheeks.
    Now transfer the air-stream flow back to the cheek muscles.

there you have it: Circular Breathing.