Circular Breathing -is there a real use?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe Piggs, Apr 5, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Disclaimer: There is an article in the British Journal of Medicine that looks at the causes of an earlier mortality in sax players than in other jazz musicians. Their conclusion is it must be circular breathing effects on the lung that causes their premature death ad they are the only instrumentalists using this technique.

This reasoning is flawed as they are NOT the only instrumentalists using this technique. Perhaps the only instrumentalists using this technique when freebasing cocaine, but NOT when breathing normal air.

I also did an experiment when I was hospitalized in the intensive care unit last year with tubes stuck into every orifice in my body (and a few created ones) while hooked up to monitors. I had my trumpet with me a practiced daily in my hospital bed while attached to these medical instruments. I did circular breathing experiments and found this interesting observation. My blood pressure stayed stable. My pulse stayed stable. But here is the interesting thing, my pulse oximeter (device used for monitoring oxygen saturation of hemoglobin) actually INCREASED by 6%. Therefore if anything it enhances the lung by increasing PEEP, and does not, in contrast to the BMJ's conclusion, contribute to pulmonary hypertension. QED.

So circular breath. Live long. AND Prosper. V

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When you see me at Little E's tonight, my response to you after the concert was "I was circular breathing":thumbsup:

So Mr. Botti, all I have to say to you is: :bleah:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, my basic technique for flutter tonging is this:
    :bleah:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See ya all in Pittsburgh tonight where I will be giving a free workshop on circular breathing.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and I appreciated the Tutelage -- even if I ain't able to explain it the correct way ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I got it now -- freebasing cocaine induces brain damage in saxophone players ----- ROFL ROFL ROFL so the saxophone by itself is harmless, just out of tune ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe you are squeezing the wrong cheeks.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Remind me not to stand too close to you when circular breathing.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    No Ed, I'm not exaggerating - Aboriginal recorded history is everywhere in the scrub in Oz - especially in the Kimberleys .....

[​IMG]

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Here is the great Mendez demonstrating his incredible skills, including circular breathing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUij8FCg0z8
    At approximately 1:18 in during Flight of the Bumblebee, you can easily see how he slightly puffs out his cheeks allowing a breath intake.
    The Moto Perpetuo was recorded with 4 edits. While he may have circular breathed in those edits, he did not play the recording without stopping in certain points.
    His sons acknowledged that he could and did play it without stopping, but the incredible difficulty and strain it took to do it made Mendez a bit leery about public performance of this fiendishly difficult piece.
    You can find the verification of this data on Trumpet Herald under the Mendez Forum as moderated by David Hickman.
    Yes, Nakariakov and Marsalis have done this piece but both of their recordings are edited as well and neither of them is as fast or completely double-tongued like the Mendez version.
    There are only a handful of players today who could even attempt this. Mendez was playing it 60 years ago!
    Rich T.