Circular breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by daniel starz, May 4, 2009.

1. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    bravo" !!!
    Thanks Markie , dads just happy for me , we have watched Rafael Mendez on u-tube playing the Bumble Bee .
    There is a high school trumpet student trying to play it , so thats why i asked my teacher about that.
    Dad and I watch the movie Kill Bill , that version is pretty cool .
    Cleve Land , I have more questions but i need to sleep. So I read TM later.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Daniel,
    I used to be very critical about young players getting in over their heads. In the mean time, I have learned that like small children thrown into the pool effortlessly swimming, they can learn things with MUCH less effort than when they get older. Your Flight of the Bumblebee is really the "deep" end of the pool. The circular breathing is the easy part. As with anything "technical", start slowly and advance when you have mastered "slow".

Next to the Mendez recording, there are fine renditions by Wynton Marsalis, Sergei Nakariakov, Al Hirt, Harry James, and a VERY special one by Adam Rapa in 7/8 time (YouTube - Adam Rapa's "Flight of the Bumble Bee"). These can all be found on YouTube for reference.

The sheet music is available here legally for free:
    Site down for maintenance

p.s.
    don't forget to practice the normal stuff when you can put the bee down!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Brassman64 likes this.
  3. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    hi Rowuk

my son has his hands full already , but i will let him try and give assistance when needed, ha ha ha , like popping his cheeks.
    he plays on the keyboard to get things going with the trumpet , we have a drum set , electric guitar
    a couple of his classmates in band live very near, a sax and trumpet player .
    Gleo his after school trumpet teacher is going over his site reading to teach him the correct way to read and play , humm which i think Daniel said is not the same , something about 3-4 & triplets .
    thanks for moving this for us , gives him something to read and experience other professional players. michael

Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Brassman64 likes this.
  4. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    I was always under the impression that true circular breathing invloved litrally inhaling while exhaling, as opposed to storing air and pushing it out through the cheeks. I had been told that very few people in the world can actually accomplish this.

The method described in this thread allows for a contiuned flow of air so I suppose it's not 'cheating' but I am now starting to wonder if I was mislead in the past.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Ross
    You were misled. The digeridoo(which is reported to be the oldest instrument known to man 40,000 years I think) requires circular breathing. On a side note if you've never tried one of these instruments you should give it a try. You've heard of losening the lips by flapping the lips like a horse? The digeridoo really does this well.

6. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    Brassman64 likes this.
  7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Mezzo Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Mendez da Bumble Bee! Watch him circular breath. Truely Amazing.

J. Jericho likes this.
  8. Brassman64

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Its never too late .Many great players played professionally into their 70s and 80s.So 20 or 30 years should be enough time to enjoy playing.Im just starting back at 53 and there are members much older than I coming back.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The first time I heard circular breathing:

Brassman64 likes this.
  10. Brassman64

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    In the first video you can see when he is using the technique filling his cheeks and maintaining a seamless constant tone while switching back and forth between cheeks and lungs.