circular breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 14, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    What is it all about. Is it good for trumpet players. What are the instructions for doing it???

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    [​IMG]

PLease....learn to play the trumpet first!

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    LOL! That's a great picture.

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    That part was accomplished about seven years ago.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Most people who do circular breathing have a loss in sound when putting it into action. As was stated above, just learn to play trumpet.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    RAK,

This is not the first time someone posting that question. Use the search engine. But before that, use common sense. How often will you need to use that kind of breathing. 99% of the music is written to breath. How much time do you need to invest to master that particular skill? Have you mastered what's necessary for the rest 99% percent of the written music?

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But, but, but in another post you wrote you'd been playing trumpet and cornet for 5 years. Did you play just trumpet for 2 before that?

I dunno about you, pal, but for me the accomplishment of learning to play was only very partially completed, even after 2 years, in fact even after a lot more:cool:

Now maybe I'm slow, but.....

I suspect the need for an attitude adjustment in RAKville!

Veery

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Prove it!

On a more serious note, we had a topic about this probably a week ago. Search before you post!

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Back in the days I started playing trumpet. Then I switched to baritone, Then Guitar. About Five years ago I joined a church band. They didn't have enough trumpets so I Decided to stick with them. Now I play trumpet and cornet. I could still play baritone but not that good. Then I saw some man blowing a trumpet on youtube without breathing. He says its circular breathing. He had an ok tone. So I decided to make a thread and see how that is possible. And then all these people get angry at me and are like don't ask that question. Well Ok now I know.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    RAK,

I play for some 15 years already and circular breathing is not #1 on my to do list. I know the mechanics, but never practiced it really. I still have others issues to solve that I find more essential to my playing. Go for the search engine. We are not angry, but a little annoyed. 'Cause there is so many other things much more essential for trumpet playing...Circular breathing in this context looks like gimmick, something to show off. Music is about communication, not demonstration....well, sometimes it is, but that's another story.