circular breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 14, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Yeah I don't use music to show off. I use music to praise god. I just wanted to know what circular breathing was all about. I'll use the search engine next time. Sorry about that. My mistake.

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    persoanly i think its just another skill, like tripple tounging, some people are just intrested in things like that, just like the fasanation on playing as high as you can!

like many other people i got intrested in it and researched it on google, youtube etc and tried it and couldnt do it, then forgot about it for a few months then decided to try again and i can now do it, i dont usually use it but its nice in hyms, and long slow passages where a breath may spoil and break up the musicical phrase

my advice is have a look on youtube for some help, practice with a glass of water and a straw then try on ur trumpet, practice playing while puffing ur cheeks then brining them back this will change ur sound quality so if you practice it should improve

give it ago :)

3. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Since none of these other guys will tell you I guess I will. It would be better in person to show you but oh well. What you do is you blow as in any situation. Then fill your cheeks with air while still blowing the note. Now once you have your cheeks full of air and your air supply is almost out, you need blow the air from your cheeks using ONLY your cheek muscles and not any lung power. This may sound confusing but think about someone pushing your cheeks in. Then once you have filled up with as much air as possible, breathe your new supply of air through your trumpet. There ya go.

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    thanks guys. I've been trying to do it for a week and i'm getting the hang of it.:thumbsup:

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    For circular breathing you might look at this link www.didges.com.au/play-the-didge.htm the Australian Aborigines have been practicing for a little over 40,000 years (makes my 1 hour trumpet practice a day seem a little lame).

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is always a fine line between a request for useful information and a perceived "need to do something online today".

If you do a search on "circular breathing" here at TM, you will find the information that you were looking for. Informing yourself first shows a genuine interest in learning instead of demanding to be spoon fed. The nature of the questions change when you have given it a go first.

My personal stand is first things first. However, there are many teachers that jump on anything that gets the student interested in practicing more.

My suggestion: exhaust the ressources, then ask questions.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    A1 advice
    Fully agree, but sometimes newbies haven't worked out the in and outs for searching....and sometimes they get beateb up for raising old threads..

In any case I am 100% with your comments; and also happy to direct the ignorant (you don't know what you don't know until someone tells you).

Cheers