CKB Accoustic- Balance Trumpet or Cornet mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by study888, Sep 22, 2005.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    To any of the fellows on a mouthpiece safari. Has anyone tried these CKB mouthpieces in any size? They look well made. Wonder how they play and rims feel. :?:

2. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    :-o Well, you see why I have 200 mouthpieces...? there is a brand I haven't even tried! :lol:

3. study888

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    CKB Accoustic- Balanced - Trumpet or Cornet M.P.

Hello Harrelson1. I am starting to know the feeling. I have a 185 more to buy to catch up with you. :-) I went ahead and ordered a 3C CKG cornet m.p. for my Olds Special cornet and Conn 37A Conn Connstellation short model cornet. They are both early 1960's models. Hope the shank fits o.k. Mouthpiece Express sells them. While I was at it. Got a 5V bach cornet m. p. to try as well. Will let all know how it all turns out. By the way. Do you have a basic price or general estimate of your modification charges? Reason I am asking. Found a very low serial# L.A. made OLDS Ambassador trumpet. The end of lead pipe had been twisted by some one removing m. p. without a puller. After I read about you and some of your leadpipe etc work. I may try to go back and buy horn. It is sitting out not in a case. The brass valve guides looked thinner and more precise than the later models. It also felt a lot lighter. The yellow brass felt very strong and well tempered. Been trying to get up with the pawn broker. He got robbed again and has whole shop up for acution. The day I was there could have got it for $20.00 :cry: When you get time. Please e-mail me or p.m. Later

4. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    OOOPS, just realized that the moniker I chose can create confusion. I am NOT Jason Harrelson, just an owner of two of his creations...maybe I need to change my name...I picked the name because I really like his horns. If you are interested in his horns go to the web site, just do a Google search. Moderators....should I change my username? Don't want to create confusion. :?:

5. study888

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    CKB Accoustic- Balanced Trumpet or Cornet Mouthpiece

Hello Everyone. Got my 3C CKB A.B. cornet mouthpiece. I really like it. I like the sharp bite and higher alpha angle. It is easy blowing with good symphonic overtones. To me. It plays as well as my Sparx 4B cornet. m.p. It really sounds great in my Conn constellation , Olds special. King, and ambassador cornets.I am hoping to buy a Olds Studio nickel plated cornet. This mouthpiece should really sound great in it. It is to me just as advertised. A accoustic balanced m. p. I also settled on a 5B Bach cornet m.p. I like it a lot also. I believe and hope my mouthpiece safari is finally coming to a end. I get my CKB trumpet and cornet m.p.'s from Mouthpiece Express. He has bottom prices and great service. These are special item m. p.'s and take a little longer to recieve. Also a no return policy. The rim and cup sizes appear to run about same as the Bachs. Also some of the popular sizes come in a wide rim width. But probably still have the sharp bite are higher Alpha angle.Also they come in first class shipping boxes. Later :D

6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Maybe a little reply, but here is my experience.

I have a CKB 1 1/2C. Bought it sight unseen simply to try it, as I had read about it and seen pictures.

I think it is a nice mouthpiece, but it is not for me. It further convinced me of my overall negative attitude toward heavier than standard weight equipment of all kinds - including horns and mouthpieces, and it does not have enough of a sharp inner edge for me. I do not seek the so-called current fad for the "dark" sound; preferring the brighter, traditional trumpet tone. IMO, this kind of equipment has a deadening effect on the tone, and makes the horn harder to play by being less responsive.

I like a mouthpiece more like the Bach 3C, which has a more defined inner edge, and therefore tends to give more precise and sure attacks and articulation, and IMO, improves tone quality. In other words, I tend to confirm the remarks made by Vincent Bach in the old Bach mouthpiece manuals when he speaks about such things.

7. SydneyDan

SydneyDan New Friend

Jan 31, 2008
    A very good student of mine came in with one yesterday---it was a 1C trumpet one. He always had a lovely "musical" sound on his Bach 3C, and when he opened up on the Arutunian, I almost had to leave the room! This piece had effectively changed his sound to white noise. We then did a series of exercises and compared his old 3C to this newcomer. I think these pieces go from a leaden dull sound from mf to pp and very quickly change to stainless steel and then on to aluminum foil above ff! Trouble is they bypass brass, bronze, or gold totally. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed.

8. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    I have a CKB 3C that came with my Benge. Sounds really good but the bite is aggressive and I think otherwise it is much like a Mega-Tone with possibly a larger throat.

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have a CKB 1 1/2 C that came with my Vintage 1 Trumpet. I really like it. I love the nice rich tone I get, but if I need to brighten up my tone a bit I'll switch to my Schilke 15C4. The CKB is a great mouthpiece. That said, if I was buying a heavy mouthpiece (and didn't have monette mouthpiece budget) I would probably buy one of the Yamaha GP mouthpieces over the CKB or a Bach Megatone. I've always preferred the rim feel of Yamaha and Schilke mouthpieces over the Bachs (CKB rim feel is similar to the Bach line).