Clams for Palm Sunday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Mar 28, 2010.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I served up a pretty big clam this moring during Palm Sunday mass. The opening hymn had the adult and kids choirs, drums, brass, and strings playing together. There were some high C's spattered here and there in the trumpet part, and it was nice and bright and festive.

The tune ends on a little run up to a high C# that's held for about 8 beats. Well, the C# came out nice and bright and loud as it should...and then it clammed down to about an A on beat 7 1/2.

It wasn't nerves or lack of preparation, just a little extra spit in the mouthpiece that I didn't compensate for. Total user error on my part.

I was mentally shot for the rest of the morning. All I can remember is that clam.

2. cloudnine

cloudnine Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2008
    The problem with dwelling on it is, you're the only one who does. :-)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Played the Christmas Oratorio parts 1-6 with the non chorus stuff left out once. Full rehearsal right before the service, and fell of the high d at the end. My thought was (after kicking myself) "If they wanted a better job, hiring a better trumpet player would have cost at least double!"

Although we must take responsibility for our mistakes, let us also take credit for what we did correctly!

If we define ourselves by our mistakes, then.....

(Fill in the rest yourself)

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I once missed a note... ;)

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Of course you're right VB. My wife (decidedly not a musician) doesn't permit sulking either, so she doesn't let me wallow in self-pity for too long. She said she barely noticed (and she's been listening to me practice at home for the last week) so most casual listeners didn't care either.

I'm actually have a couple of very strange descant parts for "Jesus Christ Has Risen Today" and "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" (arr. Randall DeBruyn) to get down for next weekend, so I'm over it already...mostly!

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We did Purcell's trumpet fanfare leading into The Palms. Myself, my SIL, and my wife on piccollo. A few fluffs, and a lip that went south almost at the end. Not my best, effort. the organist was pleased, though. And our small congregation was appreciative.
    Have three more playing stints during this season, next one is a harmon, stem out, duet on Good Friday.Again with my SIL. Then two numbers on Easter, one with a descant. Again, the three of us with organ. Then two more on the 14th, one with descant. Hopefully the lip will start to gain through all this:play::oops:

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder that feels like? ;-)

Back to the OP -- Great advice about not dwelling on it. No one in the audience does.

8. Ironman

Ironman New Friend

Dec 8, 2009
    You're not alone. We played a contemporary "Hosana" for two services this morning. It's my first time back after 10 years to play in public. We had one more guy playing the 2nd part. I missed a high B a couple times and came in late once. In my defense, there's more rest than music to play for the horns. :dontknow:

Never one to sulk, I'll practice more/better this week in preparation for Easter Sunday's performance.

Don't beat yourself up, everyone else has forgotten it by now, except you. I read on hear once before, good players practice until they can do it over and over, professionals practice until they can't make a mistake. I'm going to try and live by that adage.

Forgive yourself, God did.

Peace!!

Bud :play::thumbsup:

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Whoa... Easter Sunday I play a Sunrise service with a Contemporary Christian group(There is already a horn section in place with this group, so they want me to come in and play the first part up an octave.... 4 or 5 songs so far). Next I have an 8:00 service with 3 hymns, a doxology, an introit and an anthem with the choir, a prelude, an offertory, and a postluide. then a 9:30 service with the same kind of stuff I played at the Sunrise service, followed by the 11:00 service where i repeat everything from the 8:00 service.
    Now the good part.... It's my home church and it's all gratis.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Same here, Ed. they have next to no choir, so any musical help they can get, they appreciate...........Buck:oops: