Clams for Palm Sunday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Mar 28, 2010.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Same with me. I've made an agreement with myself that the needs/requests from my home parish trump the others.

2. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Let's see. Easter service in the morning with a cracker jack quartet of NY pros- Jami Dauber, Jonathan Greenberg, and I don't know who the fourth person is, but I am fortunate to play with such excellent players, then a Klezmer show in the afternoon for a Passover crowd. Hope I remember which music to play for which gig...

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The 1st Horn player laid an egg at the beginning of a featured piece by our church orchestra this morning, but the rest went OK. I'm sure she was embarrassed, since there was a big crowd on hand and it was televised locally...:oops:

The orchestra in general was a little off all morning for some reason. It's usually very good. I play my church's stuff for nothing, even when they bring in "hired guns" to fill in some of the parts during various holidays. Sometimes a hired gun is taking my place in church, though, if the quintet I play in has a paying gig somewhere else.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Warm, brown and the consistency of male cow dung................

GBD,
    stuff happens and leaving proud is one of the things that defines a genuine first trumpeter.

If the last chord was in A then you didn't introduce anything atonal and therefore your congregation did not suffer.

VB. Bach, in his Canonische Veränderungen (BWV769) uses the finale theme of that final Christmas Oratorio cantata. It is based on Vom Himmel Hoch, da komm ich her - which is about the announcement that Christ is coming (ich bring' Euch eine neue Mär). The only difference is that as Christmas is not yet there, the final note is an octave lower. If your gig was before the 25th, you have a RIGHT to not play that last note up there! ;-)

We just need the valid arguments for what we do! That means research before hand.

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    This is one of my favorite quotes:

"Unless you really suck, most people will enjoy listening to you.
    Try to take that into consideration and use all of your energy concentrating
    on what you are playing/how you're sounding, not worrying about what
    someone else might be thinking. The only way you'd know that, anyway,
    is if they told you. Then what?
    Hand them the horn and have them play for you."

Faddis

tedh1951 likes this.
  6. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Hi
    I used to worry myself about wrong notes and "Clams" Then someone reminded me that for every bad note I had played, I had also played thousands of notes beautifully. That put it in perspective for me.
    Laurie

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Thanks, laurie, I needed that............Buck:oops::play:

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I like another version of the practice to not make a mistake idea,

"Good players parctice until they get it right, very very good players practice a bit more, professional's practice until they know how to cover up a mistake"

Sorry pro's but that's from my piano teacher

Andrew

9. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Not to hijack the thread, but I know there are some Parishes out there which try to limit the use of musical instruments during Lent. While going totally a cappella might be too jarring for a Congregation, pairing the Orchestra/Praise Band down to a single piano or acoustic guitar could be an appropriate way to show restraint and respect for the Season.

I sing in our small Church Choir and will occasionally double on trumpet for some of the pieces. When one of our Directors asked me about the possibility of using the trumpet for Palm Sunday, I suggested waiting until Easter before breaking out the horn. IMO, the trumpet just wouldn't seem appropriate until Easter itself. Besides, imagine the emotional impact on the Congregation of going 40 days with just minimal musical accompaniment, and then having a full orchestra to celebrate the Easter Mass.

Anyway, just something for Church Musicians to think about.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Welcome to the world of being human. If Maynard and Dizzy had a nickle for every note they missed when playing a concert, they'd be richer than Donald Trump.
    I've heard Doc totally suck at a show, I've heard Sandoval hit clams the size of my TV, Mendez was once playing The Mexican Hat Dance(which he did in one breath) and clammed out on the last note. I've played enough clams in concert to feed an army.
    You ain't no different. Blow it off, move on and be sure to get back on the church stage asap(preferablly Easter). A performance isn't based on a note. A note isn't music. You are judged on the total performance.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010