Clarifying on this range technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 7, 2014.

1. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    This guy is killing me. Like nails on a chalkboard.

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Double High C

3. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never been to the CF Conference. And doubt I'll ever be invited. Nobody wants to hear from a CF kid that's played trumpet, has a black belt in Aikido, has run 4 full marathons and lived to be a healthy 43. No nearly as exciting as riding a bike 500 miles.

Have fun. If you see Dr. Robert Wilmott tell him I said Hi.

4. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    [QUOT The holy grail of notes.[/QUOTE] is DHC Double High C by any chance?

5. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    What exactly is the 'phwoo technique'? I always thought sounds was produced by vibrating or buzzing? :( How can yiu play without it?

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Air movement alone causes vibration. It works. It works well. The lip muscles I use in the phwoooo technique directs that forced air against the brass that causes the vibration. Look at all the people that used air compressors to play trumpet notes or the Toyota Robot trumpet player... again... compressed air against metal... THAT is all that is needed, and the less buzzing you do, the less wasted energy there is at getting the brass to vibrate. It works. It works well. FOR ME. THAT is the only way I can make it through a four hour gig with the Eddie Brookshire Quintet.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Say "phwooooo" and while doing so, [and don't buzz] place your lips against the mouthpiece... There you have it; the phwooooo technique.

8. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Is this phwoo business like what Tine Thing Helseth says in this video after confessing that she can't buzz?

Tine Thing Helseth live on Sarah's Horn Hangouts - YouTube

She just sort of blows out, and putting the mouthpiece onto her face just shapes her mouth into the sort of "vibrating dam" that's needed to produce the sound? That's still ultimately a "buzz," though ...

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    See... she's mouthing phwoooo... It's what I call the phwooooo technique. It gives you a very smooth sound and is less fatiguing than the buzz. I absolutely love this method and feel much vindicated in that I am in good company with using this technique.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    In good company in technique only, Gary. She'd not stay in the same room as those Baggy Trousers.