Clarifying on this range technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 7, 2014.

1. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Can you get up onto the third or fourth partials like this? It seems like you'd have to really cram the mouthpiece against your face pretty hard ... I guess she certainly does it, though.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is where you are wrong... There's plenty of room in my baggy paints for Ms. Helseth.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am not sure what you mean by third or fourth partials... Are you talking dentures? Got may entire set of teeth, except for the wisdom teeth... which for me explains a lot.

If you are talking range, this technique if anything has increased my range to super human levels.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    And that's another bunch of beginners left as confused as hell :-(

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not true at all... Phwoooo starts the brass vibrating better with less pressure, less cramming the mouthpiece against the face.

6. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I just had a quick blow on my mouthpiece (it's a bit late for full horn! 21:15) and I see what you mean now! I'll have a play tomorrow haha

7. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Ha, that's cool.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It'll change your life. It has mine. This is one of the changed I made that has advanced my trumpet playing ability tremendously.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    yeah, right. One shot, no tutorage and understood. This is why I have my problems with the internet. No way in hell can this work in this way. Crash and burn around the corner..........

10. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Well, I don't think I have to worry about being super-human or super-anything for a while on my trumpet, but I'll just keep plugging away. :-)