Clarifying on this range technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 7, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Corny, here is a track that demonstrates articulation ability with the Phwoooo technique:
    https://soundcloud.com/doctor-jazz/ill-remember-april

You will note the softness in my attack (a trade off) but the flexibility is tremendous in my ability to run patterns during my solo. At the end of the song, you also hear me playing half valve rhythm riffs behind the sax improv. This is using double/tripple tonguing with the phwoooo technique.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I haven't got time at this second to have a listen Gman but please realize I am not trying to belittle Phwooo but to understand how it works for you. To me you are describing a breath attack but do you use your tongue on the initial start of the note

3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    However you are doing it, it sounds great.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Don't listen to it Andy. It's music of the Devil. :roll:

My ears are still bleeding.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Easy enough! Blow up a balloon with air, stretch the inlet and let is squeal. That reduced is the basic concept. The Toyota guy HAS lips and they control the tension of the "lip tissue" to change pitch which is also sympathetic to the length of the trumpet and the air pressure applied. That is why we play on the partial series and bending takes a lot of energy.
    TOYOTA.CO.JP -NEWS RELEASE-
    BBC News | Sci/Tech | Latex lips blow own trumpet
    http://articles.ircam.fr/textes/FReOUR07a/index.pdf
    http://perso.univ-lemans.fr/~jgilbert/ArticlesPageWeb/BAcuivre_Jasa1998.pdf

I have said vibrate several times, that is not quite right. Actually, as you can see in the link that I provided, the lips open and close like a switch. That gets the monostable behaviour started. The sound actually doesn't travel THROUGH the trumpet. The standing wave leaks due to inefficiency in the horn structure.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Listen to my clip. You will hear the use of the tongue. Yes I use it and in the end of the piece for double and triple tonguing. Different set of muscles control the tongue whether using the buzz of phwoooo technique.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hear... let me blow in them to make it better: Phwooooo:evil:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I took one of your links that describes well what I do: The lips force vibrating air.... it is the forced vibrating air that causes the standing wave. In non of your references does it mention the need to produce an energy deficient buzz. My orbicularis muscles do vibrate the lip, but without a buzz, due to the forced of vibrating air. Take away the term buzz, and I think were agree entirely in how the trumpet produces sound.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks. As I said, it works for me... The Devil made me do it.:evil:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The diabolus in musica.