Clarifying on this range technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 7, 2014.

1. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    I am forced to confess here that pretty much this entire exchange has convinced me to just ignore what anyone else says about how to get a good sound and iterate the following two steps repeatedly:

1) Make a pretty noise, then
    2) Try to find a way to do it with less effort.

Beyond that, a lot of this sounds like "dancing about architecture" in the words of the old saying.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I tell you what -- here is a series by James Morrison (a rather well known trumpet player from down under) -- NOW he has some good tutorials ( James Morrison's trumpet tutorial: Part 1 Breathing - YouTube

FIREANDICE ---what it boils down to in James Morrison's tutorials -- is in 1 of them he makes a sound (not his trumpet, but he just makes a sound) -- and he says -- "there, now repeat that sound" ---- there are NO instructions, NO directions ----- and ultimately if He or I make a bird "chirping" sound, or roar like a lion ---- we can ask you, and YOU CAN reproduce the sound (more or less) within several tries -------------------------------- THE TRUMPET IS MORE OR LESS THE SAME ----- we all started out, not being able to play a note -------, we practices, WE LISTENED to other's sounds, and ultimately we just reproduced the sound we heard, or made our own trumpet sound the way we wanted --------------------------------- it really is that simple, sure it takes a lot of time, but really, just make a sound you like, and then keep reproducing it, over, and over, until you've perfected it

3. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I thought it was a real person inside a robot suit? :/

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm just glad I don't understand physics, or I wouldn't be able to play the trumpet.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I must admit... understanding muscle physiology has helped significantly.

6. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Knowing the physics has helped me understand how the trumpet works, and why it misbehaves -- which is a help. But operating the trumpet is fairly straightforward. I'm finding that operating the embouchure is where all the land mines lie. :-)

But I do just like the physics of the device. It's fun to know why they are called "partials!" And I have a little more respect for the oddities of the thing than for most instruments. It's quirks aren't arbitrary; they're woven into the fabric of the math. I can respect that.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhhh but that is where muscle physiology really comes into play. I teach muscle physiology at our area medical school. I do hope some of my advice can keep you straight and on task as to the best use of muscles that most optimally forms an embouchure that will work best for you.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    small aperture, relaxed lips to vibrate, push lots of air through to get higher notes -- physics

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I made the correct edits for you. Just call me BigDub, Jr.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    your about as funny as a broken leg then ROFL ROLF ROFL ROFL maybe your just broken your FIB-ula ROFL ROFL ROFL