Clarinet - A Problem??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hi! I was thinking about learning clarinet since I still have my mom's old one, and she still remembers most of it. I was just wondering (on a stretch) if this would affect my ambouschere(not great at spelling :-)) in a bad way. The only director at my High School that plays trumpet started on Saxophone and also plays flute and clarinet so I don't think it is a problem.

Thanks!!
    and sorry for all the run-ons.

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I play all the woodwinds and brass in addition to the trumpet being my main instrument, and I have found that the other instruments have no negative affect on my trumpet playing.

The important thing to remember, though, is that you need to continue to practice your trumpet just as much as ever (every day for the same amount as before) in addition to whatever practice you put into other instruments. You can't let your trumpet practice slide in order to accommodate another instrument to practice.

3. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Friends don't let friends play clarinets.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It won't affect you.

It is spelled Embouchure.

5. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Thanks for the spelling :)
    I will mostly being doing Trumpet since I will be playing that in High School.
    Thanks!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    At least you can play trumpet music with the clarinet, but the clarinet does have a higher range, so the reverse might be challenging. The problem is condition of the clarinet, as the best of them need almost constant maintenance in linkage, corks and pads, plus one constantly buys reeds for them.

7. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I've been a band director for 31 years and clarinet playing always seems to bother my bottom lip. It could just be me, or I need a better clarinet! I enjoy playing flute, though.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Years ago I taught my daughter the alto saxophone and played a clarinet with her. Constantly, I felt as if a mild electrical current was passing into my lower lip. It took an hour or more for me then to be comfortable on a brass instrument. The upside of this is my daughter now plays ALL the reeds and flute ... well not all as she has yet to set her sights on oboe or bassoon (and I hope she never does). Though she now plays with professional quality IMO, she isn't a professional and has other vocation. but enjoys playing music to unwind. Still, she is now teaching her 8 year old daughter the clarinet. I look forward to hearing them both playing a duet after which you can put me in the hole (long after).

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Since they're both B flat instruments you can use the same music for both.:D

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    See my earlier response re same music ... you may have to use a Bb picc on the top high notes of clarinet music unless your a very capable "screamer" with the regular Bb trumpet.