Clarinet - A Problem??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Apr 15, 2010.

1. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Ed. I was jesting.:thumbsup:

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Back at ya with a tenor sax:shhh:! Whoops, ain't now playin' nuttin' without my teeth ...:-?. Expect to have full upper denture by July and expect minimum of 6 months to regain my capabilty ... then I'll be tootin':play:!

3. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Ed. can hardly wait for the offspring of your new teef. Record it and stick it on You tube so we can all benefit.:roll:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No video capability! No video camera ... no budget for one. Anyone who wants to hear how I play, can PM me their e-mail address and I'll MP3 my public domain renditions. Same goes for what I've played earlier from February 2006 thru July 2008 during 1st comeback after 45 year lapse. Then included lots of Sousa, Strauss, Schubert, Edgar, Verdi, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov (Yeah, Flight of the Bumble Bee ) etc., etc. on cornet, trumpet, mellophone, trombone and euphonium and toward the end also a tuba, merging and sychronizing all the parts.

Some have already heard some of my Christian repertoire, and one has heard 2 I recorded of a 6th grader that I'm just proctoring after school for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (note: I'm not teaching him, though I could) and allowing him access to my music collection of CDs and sheet music. He has played solos twice now in church and is scheduled for another on April 30th at the high school spring concert where he will play America, The Beautiful!

As I've said otherwise, I'll be back or in hell.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Ian,
    Here's my twist on it. When I was in high school I was the lead trumpet player in all the ensembles. One day, my Dad came home with a tenor sax and gave it to me. I practiced and worked the sax like crazy. As my sax playing went up, my trumpet abilities went down. My problem was that there are only so many hours in a day and both instruments require serious dedication. One day I was playing in jazz band and was playing the lead part on Give It One and couldn't play the notes. The band director asked "what the hell's going on?" When I said I've been practicing sax, the band director commanded that I get rid of the sax. I gladly ditched the sax since my trumpet playing was heading toward mediocre.
    The bottom line for me, I'm not clever enough to do both. If its something that has a lot of homipholy (sp) such as Euphonium then I'm OK. But I just can't do reeds and trumpet.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You just ned double the practice time to get the results. Each additional intrument is time away from the trumpet. The decision is yours.

If your practice time is fixed, yes, other instruments will hurt because you have less time for the horn.