Clark Etude II accidentals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Here is a silly question . . . I have lesson tomorrow, am supposed to have the fingerings for study 2 (technical studies) written in before the lesson. Normally, accidentals carry through the measure, but looking at Clarke's etude II I wonder if that's the case for this etude. In several places, there are multiple accidentals for the same note in a bar with no accidental setting it back. So, for this etude, are the accidentals good for that note only, or do they carry through the bar as usual, and just have some redundant accidentals thrown in there?

Thanks

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    They do carry through until the end of the bar or there is another accidental for that note changing it.

3. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Whatever you do, don't write fingering on music. It is a very unwise thing to do and just puts off the inevitable. Here's a hint, practice the major scale that the exercise is written in and then try to play it.

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Please don't take this in a negative way, but how are you working on Clarke's etude II if you have to write the fingerings in? Is that not a little advanced for someone who can't read music fluently? Or is it a case of using alternate fingerings?

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Or is it a case of using alternate fingerings?
    Even if it is an exercise using alternate fingering, as a mental exercise it is better not to write in fingering

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    If you write the fingerings in, you will be concentrating on that- not the music.
    A reminder every once in a while is ok, but otherwise I don't recommend it.
    have fun,
    Andrew

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    It seems to me that a number of redundant accidentals are thown in there
    just for reminders while playing. Any accidental carries through the bar if no other accidental changes it, like said by Brekelefew.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    His teacher told him to. While it isn't great to have every fingering written in, if his teacher said to, then his teacher did it for a reason.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That's right, I had practiced this about a year ago (a little) without the fingerings written, it was a bit of a challenge, but I got through it . . . He hasn't heard me practice it, but it's the first time through this with him; I imagine that with the short lesson time he doesn't want to spend time with me fumbling around. We'll see if he tells me to erase them for practicing over the next two weeks . . .

We didn't talk about it, it was just written on the assignment sheet "write in correct fingerings for Clarke #2," so, I was a bit surprised that he would ask me to do that, but I am not asking questions about why, just doing what he says at this stage.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummmm,
    the finest music is written in pencil! if you write the stuff in often enough, you also learn the patterns. During my students first year of lessons, they can rewrite the book if they want. After that we are doing things at a speed where you can't read fingerings anyway. The issue goes away all by itself when it no longer makes sense. The teacher just needs to push enough but not excessively.