Clark Etude II accidentals

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Apr 2, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Also, for what it's worth, the fingerings on the Etude were not an issue, I was only questioning the accidentals. Writing fingerings for the other parts of the study when there are more than 3 or 4 sharps or flats will certainly make my brain relax more . . . I don't want to become dependent on that, nor do I think it's his intention.

Can I read without the fingerings, yes, can I do it anywhere near as fast - with some of the more "exotic" key signatures? No. It's definitely a weakness I have, but I suspect that at least in part that's what this exercise is for - part velocity study/finger dexterity, part working through the circle of fifths, probably some other things as well.

On my own I would not have written in all the fingerings (probably would have written in a few reminders where I found I had trouble), but this is a well-known, highly qualified teacher, and I'm not going to question his methods.

Thanks for your responses. Carry the accidental through the bar as per usual then.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I misunderstood "Enter fingerings for study two before the next lesson," he has certain alternate fingerings he wants used at certain points - in some cases alternating say for example E as 12 and E as 3. THAT's why he wanted fingerings written in.