Clark Technical Studies Ideas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B6L, Jun 10, 2007.

1. B6L

B6L New Friend

Dec 3, 2003
    I have been using the Clark Tech Studies as a range building exercise by doing #1to #3 pp and going as high as I can. I have had really great results! I am wondering if anyone else has a method or approach to using this book for range
    Nate

2. BrandonFloyd

BrandonFloyd New Friend

Jun 3, 2007
    I have never used the studies for range building. If you want to extend your range I would try getting "Advanced Lip Flexibility" by Phil Collin. It has worked great for me in endurance, range and flexibility.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Play the Clarke also on your higher pitched trumpets. You will turbocharge the effect. I use them as part of my regular piccolo trumpet routine.

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I would have to agree with BRANDONFLOYD.
    I use "Advanced Lip Flexibility" by Phil Collin, and it's a good work out for sure.
    Be sure to rest in between Etudes like #12(page)#14(page)19.
    these bad boy's are real lip benders!
    But can build good range as well.
    "Advanced Lip Flexibility" by Phil Collin, is like a abe machine for targetitng abes.

5. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Just placed an order for Clarke technical studies, (and the Arutiunian) - I'll let you know how it goes!

Chris.

6. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    My teacher had me doing the first study for range...I think it helped. I also have the advanced lip flexilities and it is a great book, but does anyone have any sugestions for effective practice from it daily?

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I do Clark #2 but I do them for major, many kinda of minor, mixolydian, altered, diminished, whole tone and any other scale I can think of. It really gets the brain going.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    For range building also try study #5 concentrate on good sound and accuracy, rather then speed. don't go any higher until the last note sounds easy and open.

I also do them 2-6 all in minor whole tone etc.

Also try tonguing studies 2 and 3.

The Advanced Lip Flexibility is Charles Colin not Phil Collins, easy mistake to make though. It is also very good for this.

9. bflatmus

bflatmus New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Colonial Beach, VA
    Absolutely! In fact, I have "expanded" the exercises to four octaves, without pause, in my recording, Clyde Hunt Plays Clarke Technical Studies.

You may "hear" and read about this "expansion" process at my website:
    Clarke Technical Studies for Cornet/trumpet, book & cd

Also, feel free to contact me if somethings are not clear.

Thank you,
    Clyde E. Hunt

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I strongley recommend this book, I use it every day, nothing higher then High "C" - NEW!!! Variations on Clarke's Second Study

For range above that I agree with The Colin Flexibilites is GREAT !!

Increased my practice range to a G above high C and my playable range to a strong high C which is what I was aiming for this year.

For a comeback player like me @ 55 !! brings smiles to my face:-)

You can also take what you use right now and take it up an octive!!:play:

Just my humble opinion:-)