clarke books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I've been playing the trumpet for about 12 years now, but I've only used a handfull of books, and they were all from my teacher who wanted them back after I finished them. Besides that I've got piles of sheet music lying around everywhere.
    Sadly, going to college is very expensive, and I really cannot afford a private teacher anymore, so as of this year, I no longer have a teacher, and I'm gonna have to 'home-school':D

I think it's time for some practising with stucture in it, so:
    Im getting the Arban book.
    But, since I'm ordering anyway, should I get some, or all, of clarkes study books? I've found 3 of them so far:
    - technical studies
    - characteristic studies
    - elementary studies

can someone pleas advise me on these books? what's the difference? would I benefit from them? are they hard enough to make me learn a lot of new stuff? which one will I benefit from the most? which one the least?

I've been playing the trumpet for 12 years, and I'm 19 years old. I play about 15 hours a week, including (4) rehearsals ect. I've played pieces like haydn's trumpet concerto, and am working on Arutunian right now. (and having trouble with it)
    I'm trying to work on maintaining almost the same mouthpiece position and pressure in all octaves, and getting a nice tone.

anyhow.... any advise is very welcome!

EDIT: and what about colin's advanced lip flexibilities? is it better that clarke?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Duplicate post.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The Clarke Technical Studies are probably the more important of the 4 Clarke books (Technical Studies, Practical Studies, Elementary Studies, and Setting Up Drills). Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities is also a good book.

I suppose if I could only afford one of these books, I'd get the Clarke Technical Studies. But it really depends on what your personal goals are, and what you want to work on this year. Also, if you wanted a more all-around book, I'd go with Arbans or something like it.

FYI, if you wanted to purchase all 4 Clarke books, they come as a single volume under the title "Clarke Studies". You can find it at Dillon Music (Clarke Studies for Trumpet or Cornet / Hickman) and Hickman Music Editions (Hickman Music Editions:). It's spiral bound, so it's a bit more flimsy than the individual volumes. But it would be cheaper, if you really wanted all 4 books.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would definitely buy the Technical Studies book and work with it as well as the Arban. As for the others you can wait before you add those.

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'm getting the arban book anyway. I can get them all, but it would be a waste to buy a book I'm hardly gonna use. Also: I'm ordering them online, and cannot vieuw them before I get them, so I have no idea what to expect when they arrive.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that the technical and characteristic studies are equally important.
    The former helps build finger pattern habits while maintaining airflow. The latter is more focussed on making music and stretches the ability for expression. The solos at the back represent standard cornet repertory.