Clarke Characteristic Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Jul 2, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Mr. Laureano (or anyone else that can help),

I'm working on the Clarke Characteristic Study #1 (C Major), and I have a question.

Is it considered "okay" to stop and take a breath for a beat (momentarily pausing the etude) at some of the breath marks? I've never heard anyone perform these things, and this one is especially jam-packed with notes all the way through.

What do you think?

Thanks

Joe Lewis

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    LS,

Of course. The study is for you to use as you see fit. Don't ignore a potential challenge but always be realistic. Your sound should always be true not suffering from lack of air.

ML

3. bflatmus

bflatmus New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Colonial Beach, VA
    Absolutely......do not think of this music as a march!! Many of the studies contain beautiful melodies, and as such require "expressive" performance.
    As a matter of fact, I have recorded all twenty four studies.

You may listen to Clarke Char. #1 at my website:
    http://www.bflatmusic.com/clarkech.htm

Thanks for visiting!
    Clyde E. Hunt

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Search youtube. I don't remember who, but there is an excellent rendition done at a tempo where I don't remember any breaths that weren't marked. I am also working on that one. I am where you are. I need to take longer pauses and I am taking additional breaths because I am still laboring through all the notes. Once I get everything firmly under my fingers where I don't have to think any more, I am hoping to approach his level of mastery.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland