Clarke studies............ And i guess any other exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 18, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi when we practice Clarke studies or any other exercises for that matter should we practice with our pinky in the finger hook ....cause it's hard :huh:to do ,and I have seen on videos players professinals that don't do this ....but then again I did see Tine Thing and Alison and Doc ,and Mendez do it :dontknow:Anthony

2. trumpetplanet

trumpetplanet New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    I'm generally more concerned with where people put their thumb on the right hand rather than the pinky. I think as long as your hand movement isn't restricted then it's up to you.
    I do both.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Whatever is comfortable as long as it is the same way you perform.

4. datrieuth

datrieuth New Friend

Nov 28, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    you're teacher probably tells you to do that because in the long run it's easier to just have you're pinky in the right spot... I know my teacher told me the same thing so I've been there LOL!

5. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    I have had the hook removed from every horn I have ever owned. I accidently broke the hook off of my main trumpet when I was in high school; and I immediately lost about a minor third off my upper register. Now, I would have sworn that I NEVER used the ring to pull the horn into my chops, but there it is!

For practice on Clark stuff … always do everything on a metronome. Keep a careful log of what you are doing. Practice them every day and don’t worry about spending too much time on them. Pay very close attention to your breath control. Maintain a constant air stream, and when you are at the end and out of air, be COMPLETELY out of air. This way you can dovetail breath control into the finger technique study. It is always nice to kill two practice birds with one stone!

What happened to me as I was working my way through the Clark book, using the metronome, I found I was playing the exercises at way, way over the marked tempos. I asked my private teacher why I was doing these, because my speed was so blazing fast. Not trying to brag, it just was. Anyway, the instructor was a very cool cat, and he couldn’t see any reason to pursue the Clark book anymore, BUT!! I still had to incorporate some technical exercises into my daily routine; so I could maintain speed and accuracy. Good Luck!

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    While the Clarke studies is a fine method for developing scales, it's also used often to promote air control. Perhaps you are focusing too much on the fingers, and not enough on the air. Just a thought.

However, to your question...
    I have no problems doing it either way. Some people swear having the pinky out helps them finger more rapidly. Whatever works for you.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Learning the trumpet is a development process. The pinky hook is insignificant because it is really easy to use it or not use it. I find that the added stability of USING IT makes my playing better. I have found no limitations of hand geometry either way.

8. trumpetplanet

trumpetplanet New Friend

Dec 8, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    That's not what it says in the book!
    I was always told to treat them like a medicine that if taken in small doses will cure you but a bottle full will kill.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

What do you do when turning pages or using a plunger?

10. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    I hook my little finger, which normally goes in the hook, under the lead pipe. I have big hands so it works for me. A bit awkward at first, but not too bad.