Clarke Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2008.

1. johnbarleycornca@yahoo.co

[email protected] New Friend

Oct 17, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Hi everybody!
    Well this is my first post here, so I figured that I would try to satisfy my curiosity. My question for everyone is this: Do you practice Clarke's technical studies? And if so, how many have you managed to play at tempo? And finally, what kind of alterations do you possibly do to the studies when practicing (i.e., other keys, articulation patterns, alt. fingerings, etc.)? Just figured I'd throw that out there and see what kind of response I get. My personal goal is to get all the studies up to tempo in as many keys as possible.
    Cheers
    Phil

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I'm working on Study no. 2... no. 1 too.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    What is your definition of clarke studies john? The book full of studies? or just one specific study?

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Basically the 1st study is chromatic scales... :) So I practice those often...

The 2nd study I'm having some issues with some lines since they change key... not all of them are as fluid I find.

5. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Welcome to TM where you will get a mixed bag of answers to your questions.....many will be helpful ......some not so......

Of all the technical studies Clarke's are the easiest...many players here on TM have managed to go through all the studies in about a month! ;-) Then again there are some like you and me who aspire......

I wish you well........others will have to answer about alternate fingering, articulation....and a strategy to attain your goal.

Walter

6. johnbarleycornca@yahoo.co

[email protected] New Friend

Oct 17, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Thanks Walter!
    Patric, I'm just asking which, if any, of the studies you might work on(have worked on). And how you practiced them.
    Cheers
    Phil

7. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I like the idea of trying to go through the whole book in a year (I've never done it myself, but I'm working on it this year). So, there are 10 studies, and I'm just trying to reach a goal tempo for each study before I go on to the next (not necessarily the highest indicated tempo). 10 studies equals roughly 5 weeks per study, and I'll alternate daily between the two that I'm working on during that 5 week period. I haven't been really great at keeping with that schedule, but I've been at least trying to. So, instead of trying to play studies one and two at their highest indicated tempos, I'm trying to bring my weakest "keys" to the tempo of my strongest "key". For example, my strongest key for study 2 is C and my weakest key is sort of a toss up between F# and (believe it or not) Bb, so I'll try to bring F# and Bb up to the tempo that I can play C the fastest. You'll notice that the studies go through all twelve keys (see study 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.).

By the way, when the 5 weeks is up and I haven't brought my tempos up all the way I'm still going on to the next 2 studies.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Practice them slowly and precisely. Then increase tempo. Slow and sloppy becomes fast and sloppy. Push valves down with conviction as if they were an on/off switch. No half valve. Use different articulations: slur first time, tongue second time, double tongue third time. Don't be afraid to extend the range of each exercise past what's written. They can be good high note studies. Have fun!

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    also always make sure you are playing them with a beautiful sound, regardless of speed.

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Pay attention to the instructions. First study chromatics are played pp. Don't spend a lot of time on those you do well. I have been working on this book for 3 months or so. But also spend a lot of time in other books. Arban, etc.

I don't plan to get up to speed on all the studys the first time thru. I'm sure this book will be good for years of work. I can play the first study chromatics 6-8 times on one breath. I moved on to the second study, but still return at least weekly to the first. Just keep working.

I read somewhere that some students complained that sixteen times in one
    breath was hardly possible. I went on to read that Clarke could play these 70+ times in one breath. WOW

Don't spend all practise session just on these studies. I split them up, doing 15 or so lines and then moving on to something else.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008