Clarke Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2008.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I can barely to it once on one breath! ;)

2. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    These exercises have probably done more for my speed and coordination than any other.I usually warm up with one of the first five studies sluring and double tounging them.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have played through most of the book several times.
    The exercises get everything moving together.

When I'm playing and just come to a simple run, sometimes it doesn't come out even. When that happens I go back to Clark. It's kind of like running for a football player or working out with weights. You have to do it to stay in shape.

I shouldn't wait until the run comes out uneven but I'm apart time player just trying to hold it together for as long as I can.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That book should be in everybodies daily routine!
    My personal take:
    Speed is a function of precision so practice ONLY with a metronome and at a speed where it is rhythmically perfect. If you practice these things at moderate tempos until they are memorized, you will be able to play them faster than if you try to build up speed gradually. The issue is the precision at which we are pushing the valves down and the patterns burned into our brain. Burning the pattern in at a moderate tempo burns precision too. I advocate picking a metronome speed and sticking with it for a couple of weeks(even if you can get through at higher speeds!), then increasing the speed substantially in one shot and sticking with that for a couple of weeks. Play all the keys at the exact same tempo, don't play the easy ones faster. Discipline and precision are the keys to success here!
    Your body and breathing should be completely relaxed - also something better trained at moderate tempos!

5. jjt

jjt New Friend

Dec 2, 2007
    canada
    Phil,
    I do some alterations on some of the exercises. For example, the first study I do through the octave. ie. start on C, play down to F#, up to F# and back to C (and variants for many different keys daily). Of course, varying articulation can also make this more interesting.

Study #2 can be altered in, literally, dozens of ways. All major keys is a given, but I am currently working on dorian. Up next will be chromatic, diminished, whole tone.......and upside down, too (I'm not kidding). I use the second study to go along with whatever scales and arpeggios I am working on, and will alter it accordingly.

For the rest of the book, I'm still working on what's printed.
    Happy practicing!
    jt

6. johnbarleycornca@yahoo.co

[email protected] New Friend

Oct 17, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    While I thank everyone for the aforementioned advice, I think I need to further clarify my question. I think jjt hit closest to the mark. I'm asking this question while keeping in mind that beautiful sound, finger accuracy and appropriate dynamics are a given.
    What I'm looking for is what kind of articulation patterns have you used, and what keys/interval variations do you use when practicing the clarke studies. At the moment I am concentrating on the second study. I currently practice it in minor 2nds, major 2nds, minor 3rds and in the Ionian mode.
    By the way thanks jjt, you gave me a bit of a brainstorm with your upside down idea. I've ended up with somewhere around eight basic combinations and twenty-four extended variations!
    So I hope this clears up what I'm after, any kinds of variations you folks could come up with would be appreciated!
    Cheers!!!

7. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
  8. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    If you google in "Chris Gekker Summer Practice " you will get a lot of good info about the Clarke Tech studies and also the Schlossberg and Arban. He lays aout a very effective practice routine using the above mentioned books. Basically Gekker says to practice one study a day
    leaving out the "etudes" at first. Resting often

9. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks ZS! (You reminded me that I have to add Gekker)

Gekker allowed me to use his essay on my website:

Summer Practice, 2002

I now have added him to my "Clarke/Tech list".

Ole

10. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I do #s 1,2,3,4,5,7 weekly. I don't even own the book anymore as they were memorized long ago. I never intended to memorize them, but it happened through repetition. I also tongue them and multiple tongue them. They are a part of my daily routine.

Roy Griffin