Clarke Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2008.

1. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT
    Hey oj thanks for the link, that is choc full of interesting info.

Nick

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    How long did it take / should it take to memorize them? :)

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Ckarke studies are also really good for fourth valve technique on piccolo trumpet.

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH

Ron Carter told me once in a Jazz master class he gave....

"....10 hours a day fixes most things."

I do Clarke #2 on all the jazz scales as well. It gets the ear used to the sonorities if the Jazz idiom and you're working on trumpet at the same time.

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    10 days a week ought to do it too...

so with clarke #2 with the jazz scale, how do you proceed in replacing the notes?

6. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    So like take the Dorian minor mode and use it with #2. In C.... D-E-F-D--E-F-G-E--F-G-A-F--D etc....With other scales like the Dominant or Mixolydian, change (in C) the B natural to Bb. You can do the same patterns on Lydian dominant, Whole tone, Lydian Augmented, You name it.

And.... always outline the chord for each scale after wards. For Example, Let's take #32. After you complete the thing as many times as you can in one breath, out line C-E-G-B-D-B-G-E-C. which is the C Major 9 chord. If you do the Dominant scale, outline -C-E-G-Bb-D-Bb-G-E-C. I do this everyday rotating a different sound. I start with G in the staff or #41 and "spider web" it from there (1/2 step up from G, 1/2 step down from G, whole step up whole step down etc...). I play them up to High F# (#41 8va takes you up to High F#). It's a good session:lol: