Clarke Technical vs Characteristic Studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LiquidSean, Jan 10, 2011.

1. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    Hello all,

I am looking for a new trumpet method book to sink some practice time into. :D
    From what I've heard, the Clarke Studies are really good method books.
    As I was browsing browsing on Amazon, I noticed that there are two different versions.... Technical and Characteristic.

So my question is, what is the difference? :dontknow: From what I understand, the Characteristic studies are more challenging, right? Which one do you all use? If you say both, which one do you utilize more?

Thanks,
    Sean :play:

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Clarke's Characteristic Studies has solos/etudes as played by Clarke, and a few other pages on technique. The Clarke's Tech Studies are used to work on technique, breath control, etc. The Tech Studies are challenging also, and many players, incuding myself, use this book. So the Tech Studies book should be first, in order for you to apply the acquired skills to approach the Characteristic Studies book with some level of skill required to play them.

3. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Regardless of witch book you use you should have a quality teacher show you how to use it,you will learn and grow so much faster. my teacher has showed me so much on how to use the scales to improve my technique and breath control. And just get really involved with using it as a tool.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have both - the technical exercises are just that - exercises that are structured in a systematic way to work various aspects of your technique. The Characteristic studies contain etudes and solos that are designed to incorporate the musical aspect of playing the trumpet while utilizing the finer points of technique that have already been built.

Just my opinion, it's good to have them both, but if I was only going to spend the money for one of them, I'd get the Technical Studies book because I actually work out of that, and I rarely touch my Characteristics studies book,even though I should.

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    If you don't mind dropping some coin, you can get the book "Clarke Studies" from Hickman Musical Editions.

Description:
    [Includes all 4 of Clarke’s instruction books for cornet or trumpet: Elementary Studies, Technical Studies, Characteristic Studies, and Setting Up Drills. Also included are 8 pages of suggested practice routines for maximum results by David Hickman.] This price is almost half the cost of ordering the four Clarke books separately from other publishers!

Price: $27.00

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with this approach - great deal!

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I have Elementary, Technical, and Characteristic from my grandfather's collection of music. What's in "Setting Up Drills"?

Tom

8. jeff_purtle

jeff_purtle Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Clarke's Technical Studies, Then and Now

That's an article that explains how the teaching of Herbert L. Clarke and Claude Gordon are essentially identical. It also shows the original text and how it's important to get the author's original intended meaning in context.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona