Classic Christian Trumpet Hymns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetup, Apr 20, 2012.

1. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    There wasanother thread about Phil Driscoll and how he is a monster trumpet player. He isa great trumpet player. Does anyone have recommendations for classic trumpetsolo Christian hymns?

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    He used to have a website [Mighty Horn, I believe] and you can buy a lot of his music. My wife bought around 3 of his "books" of solos and when they came they were all just photo copies. Be advised they are pretty technical and a lot of the songs go to G over high C, not for the average player.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's his "new" site. You can listen all his stuff!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Be sure your volume is down as the intro has music!

Phil Driscoll

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know the kind of thing you are looking for, but I found a selection of several books of hymns that came with background tracks for practice or demo, at two different local well stocked music stores. Hymn solos are probably one one of the more common requests for that type of thing. The ones I found were fairly beginner/intermediate level, but a person could liven them up a bit.

There is also a wealth of hymn sheet music online, these tend to be basic melody lines and again non-monster range.

5. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Sorry I wasn't clear. (Also didn't notice I missed the space bar when typing) I am looking for recordings of trumpet solo hymns that aren't monster. I do like Phil, but I would like to hear some old classic hymns on trumpet. I have found some symphony stuff with some good trumpet, but I haven't found trumpet solo work that is old classics.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

6. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
  7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    you can also check out Fletch Wiley, he sells trumpet solo books with piano accomp. and you can also purchase an accomp. CD [which is pretty pricey]. His book of standard hyms is Contemporary Hyms and he also has several books of praise hyms/songs. really nice arrangements and not real difficult. we have about 6-7 of the books and CDs and the wife plays them as solos for church, she has written duet parts for some and we play them together. He also has a couple of Christmas books that are nice.

8. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    My computer and I had a wrestling match over itunes. It thought it was some kind of attack by aliens. But my daughter helped me through it. She seems to think I was the problem. Maybe she is right:oops: But thanks for the link. This is what I was looking for as far as listening. Thanks to all for the links to music. I have been using our hymn book and transposing everything. My sister-in-law piano player is very forgiving and works well with idiots. (I think she has been talking to my daughter) Anyway having piano and trumpet parts will make it go easier.
    Thanks
    Bobby

9. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Are you looking for descant type stuff? Otherwise you could just play right out of the hymnal...?

10. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I am looking for CD's of trumpet solo hymns that are played more in the classical music genera. Changing it up a little from verse to verse is fine, but something that stays with the recognizable melody of the song.
    Bobby