classic french besson trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Weedyweidenthal, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    anybody know anything about these? i can't find much info... it's the model designed by the principle trumpet for the Milwaukee symphony. all i know is it's got a .462 bore. i got offered a trade for the trumpet and i would give a blessing 4 valve flugel. any help?
    -Weedy

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Great pro horns. If the condition is OK it's worth the trade. Probably one of the more under-rated (and hence, underpriced) trumpets in the used market today.

If it's got the Najoom leadpipe then it's made by Kanstul. You could check the s/n with the factory; they're really good at that sort of thing. If it IS one of the ones they made then they are also an excellent source of parts even though they don't make that model any longer.

3. Weedyweidenthal

Weedyweidenthal Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    thanks... it does have the Najoom lead pipe. i'm going to e-mail kanstul. thanks a lot.
    -Weedy

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I was really impressed with these at the different shows, (Midwest, MMEA) any one know what happened to them? I thought they where really well built and in ways got the best of both worlds, the sound of Bach with the intonation and response of Yamaha

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What happened was that Boosey & Hawkes (Besson's parent company) got themselves into a bit of a mess and decided that there was more profit to be had in the publishing industry so they "spun off" the instrument divisions. In a (futile) attempt to drag the instrument company back into profitability they pulled their contract from Kanstul and started building instruments in India. In December of last year that company went into receivership and the assets have now been purchased by Crampon/Buffet (who have now also purchased Curtoise!) and time will tell if it can be pulled back into profitability.

6. josephus07

josephus07 Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2005
    Just FYI, Dennis Najoom is not the principal of the Milwaukee Symphony, Mark Niehaus is. I believe Dennis' title is co-principal trumpet, but Mark's is principal (not co-principal).

Dennis is the one who designed those horns, but as far as I know, the section plays on Bach's. (I don't know what Dennis plays on other times).

7. ftibets

ftibets New Friend

Feb 4, 2006
    Boston
    Besson

wow! That's unbelievable how Boosey could pull their Kanstul contract and send manufacturing off to India! How stupid can they be? They deserve to vanish from the face of the earth for that. And then, maybe Kanstul can buy the rights to manufacture the French Besson.