Classical symphonic repertoire

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Jimi Michiel, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Manny,
    How does your approach to Classical repertoire differ from that of Romantic or 20th/21st century music? Does it at all?
    I find Haydn and Mozart and even Beethoven to be very nerve-racking from a performance standpoint. It seems like there is little or no room for error (there never is, but it's especially evident here). Also, I feel myself restrained to some degree, artistically speaking, when I perform music from this period. Whereas in Mahler, for example, I feel like there is room for interpretation, it seems like in pre-1800 literature the trumpet parts should, for the most part, just fit into the texture (except maybe Mozart Posthorn and that crazy Haydn 2nd trumpet solo). Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Jimi

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you referring to the Haydn Military Symphony? I believe that is a 3rd trumpet solo.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, BBW, that's a second solo... I 've tried, unsuccessfully, to goad Bob Dorer into playing the opening from Mahler 5 after the first few triplet/quarter figures, the big wimp! There is a mass, I believe, that Haydn wriote for three trumpets. Are you thinking of that?

Anyways, that's a good question about the styles. For the pre-Beethoven rep I play quite lightly and listen very carefully to the shape of the melody lines and look for the places where I have to shade in and out of the phrases. That's what makes it interesting. Some folks think of it as dull work but I enjoy it for that reason.

Yes, it can be like treading on eggshells, occasionally. I sometimes vary my approach by playing with the bell outside the stand for clarity but playing even more lightly. It's a neat effect because you have color, clarity, and blend if you do it right.

ML

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must be; I know that there is a Haydn 3rd trumpet solo somewhere, I will find it. :D

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I only remember the"Lord Nelson"or "Mass in the time of War."
    The "Military Symphony" solo is in the second part..........I think.

Wilmer

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's it, Wilmer! Lord Nelson is the one with three.

Thanks, oh, wise one!

ML

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Manny, have you ever been asked to play natural trumpet on any of this rep?

Oh and I think of that every time I hear that Haydn Military symphony :lol: :lol:

8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That's such a great piece! I played it recently, although I notice sometimes when hearing classical era pieces performed, that the trumpet players rarely play any phrases, they get so caught up in repeating V-I that they go into auto-pilot with it, pretty sad considering what marvelous music it is.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm not sure, but is "anyways" a word? I looked it up in the dictionary and it said non standard and referred me to anyway.

When I first met my wife I told her that anyways was not a word. At dinner the next night she had a special place mat for me. It was a copy of a page in the dictionary with anyways highlighted. Even so I don't think it is a word.

Sorry for the change in subject.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    LOL,

It's New Yorkese!

ML