Classical symphonies - too low?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Nov 28, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Manny, I've read that some Classical symphonies written by Mozart involve range that would be part of the pedal tone on our present Bb trumpet. I've also read that these parts double up with timpanis and it's good to play them an octave up but I've also read experiences of people playing them as pedal tones. How would you play these notes? Thank you.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think they would just sound dumb as pedal tones, frankly. Unless you had some special horn rigged up to give you a solid version of the printed note, such as the low C in the Jupiter Symphony, it would not sound vibrant. Rather, it would be dull.

ML

3. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The old deep F trumpets had those notes. They sound consistent with the higher octave. Our modern horns "sacrifice" that octave for securities sake.

5. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich
    That's it!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    The low notes work on the natural trumpets they were written for, although they are low. Baroque trumpets aren't as loud, but should be enough for Mozart.
    But unless you are using them in the orchestra, just play the darn things up an octave. The conductor probably won't notice, and if he does, probably will understand the problem.

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    as a second I do that all the time. or just play the whole piece on Bb (Brahms Haydn variations comes to mind immediatly) We did Don Giovanni a few years ago. I played that part on my D trumpet (bach large bore long bell eb/d) and the pedel just fell out of the horn. did the rest on C