Claude Gordon - systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 13, 2010.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I have consumed as much CG material as I can get my hands on. Even have a book stamped and hand-written by ol'chap himself. I highly recommend that if you a comeback player or beginning to intermediate player that you start with "A Physical Approach to Brass Playing."

DK

I forgot to mention that this book you one need one other that he recommends you to, and that is the St. Jacombs Grand Method.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Another thing - the Gordon routine for SA requires a daily commitment of 2+ hours. I would not suggest playing just the SG parts (I and II), because you need to the finesse of soft work to counterbalance the heavy lifting of the SA exercises.

If that type of commitment is too much for you, I would recommend Eric Bolvin's excellent Tongue and Air method.
    ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: TONGUE LEVEL & AIR

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Susan Slaughter, Principal of St. Louis Symphony, seems to believe in them a LOT.

I don't have personal experience with them...

6. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  7. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Exactly what books are required to fully and completely use Systematic approach?

8. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
  9. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    I found out what books are needed: Clarke's technical studies, Clarke's characteristic studies, Arban's conservatory method, Saint Jacome grand method, Charles Collin's advanced lip flexibilities, and Walter Smith's lip flexibilities along with Gordon's Systematic Approach of course.

I've been thinking about starting Systematic Approach for a while now since I don't have a private teacher and won't be able to get one until 4 months from now. I already have Arbans, and both of the Clarke books. I won't be able to buy all the other books at the same time though.

For the Systematic Approach do I need all the books from the get go or are they introduced at varying times through the 52 lessons? If this is so can anyone tell me what week each book is introduced?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most all of the main methods were designed for lessons with an experienced instructor. The Clarke is the only one that I would consider "self help". The others do not have enough info from the author to explain everything that the student should be paying attention to.