Claude gordon?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by graceffi, Mar 16, 2005.

1. graceffi

graceffi New Friend

Mar 16, 2005
    I'd like to know: how can I identify if my Benge is a Claude Gordon model?

I've tried to see it on internet, but I've found contradictory information.

Could anyone help me?

It's a 1972 Benge, LA, 5, MLP

Very thanks

Reinaldo Graceffi - Brazil

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    You apparently have a 5X+, which is not a Claude Gordon model (but is a rather unusual configuration). The MLP means your trumpet has a .464" bore, while the CG model has a .468" bore, except where is chokes down to .464" in the bell tail. The CG Benge was based on the 6X large-bore trumpet, with some modifications. I don't know if a model number, such as 7X, was ever applied to the CG Benge.

3. marc w. brandl

marc w. brandl New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    san diego
    c.g. benge

:D my c.g. benge,#18401,has C.G.on the second valve casing,under the second valvepipe. also C.G. on the beginning of the bell crook, right by the first valve.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Reinaldo,

You have indeed, an early Los Angeles 5X Benge.

Benge made wonderful trumpets during this time!

Many, many players feel the 5X was the best sounding, best blowing Benge model ever so enjoy your wonderful horn!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

5. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    All Claude Gordon trumpets have the initials CG on the second valve casing. The earlier ones (until around the year 1975 or 1976) also have a CG stamped on the beginning of the Bell Pipe as it comes off the 1st Valve casing.

Beware of CG Benges with 6 digit serial numbers. These were made just after Benge was moved to Ohio and the quality and consistancy might not be as good as the Los Angeles Benges (the Los Angeles Benges had 5 Digit serial numbers).

Cheers,

John

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    John, Tom & John (above posters) --

Never having owned or played a CG (but v interested) ... what about the later Selmer CG's? They were a .470" bore, I believe; not sure about anything else. How do they compare to the Benge horns?

Robert Rowe