claude gordon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tipo mastr, Jun 6, 2009.

1. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    What's the general concensus on claude gordon's method? has anyone around here tried his stuff out? if so, what's your opinion?

thanks

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Claude Gordon's approach is very credible as are Reinhardt, Caruso, BE, etc. It's what may work best for you. They all try to get you to the same place.

I used Gordon's Systematic Approach for a few years, with good results. When I bought my LA Benge in college, the horn came with a pamphlet with Claude Gordon info in it. I think that I still have it somewhere.

Jeff Purtle has a website with much of Gordon's info on it. Here is the link: Online Trumpet Lessons - Online Brass Lessons - Webcam Trumpet Lessons - Oboe Lessons - Flute Lessons - Woodwind Lessons | purtle.com

Pete

3. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    i've seen purtle's site...in fact i have some webcam lessons set up rather soon.

I'm just curious to see generally how accepted gordon's methods are in the trumpet community. from what i've seen, most people either love his method or hate it.

4. limbo

limbo New Friend

Aug 1, 2008
    POOPLAND, CHINA

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    tipo,
    Claude Gordon has a respected name. There can be no real advice given as we have no control over your face, present level of competence, dedication or preserverance.

Making ANY method work is based on those three things. Whether the method is optimal or not is inconsequential for the DIY player. There is enough universal truth to simply practicing more that makes such methods similar to diets: as long as you actively participate, they work. If your life is not changed during the process, you get fat, lose range and endurance.......

These methods become critical once the player is at an advanced stage. Then the last 2 - 5% really count.

Limbo, no book helped you "hit" anything. Only practice did that. High range can be equally built with Arban, Schlossberg, Clarke, Gordon..................... You just need to PRACTICE sensibly.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    As with any method, it's always hard to tell how much help it will be when not studied with the person who wrote. Generally, people who have the patience to work through it, seem to like the Gordon method. People who studied with him have nothing but great things to say about his method, him as a teacher, and the results they got. I think he definitely is slanted more toward the player who's looking for power, range, and stamina.

Gordon actually came and did a clinic for my high school trumpet section. I remember he had the brand new, not quite on the market yet Benge Claude Gordon model trumpet with him. I remember finding him to be very thorough and his approach to be well thought out. And man could he play!!!!

bigtiny

7. trumpet_high

trumpet_high New Friend

Oct 21, 2009
    Caracas
    I'd preffered Maggio. Is simple, clear and, most important, fits me.