Claude Gordon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, May 12, 2015.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi,

I have just bought most of his books, and was wondering which order you would start them in.

The first four are:

Tongue Level Exercises
    Physical Approach to Elementory Brass Playing
    Systematic Approach to Daily Practice
    St Jacome Grand Method

There are other books by Claude but these follow on from the others.

Thanks
    :cool:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would start with a teacher that is familiar with the material. They listen to you play and notice what works and what doesn't and if they are really good, they know why and what will provide the foundation for the future. If this a DIY venture, you need to figure out what you can comfortably navigate, and the constantly raise the bar.

In my experience, most students work way too hard for the results that they get. The systematic approach helps get a daily routine worth the name. I would not touch the tongue level stuff without a teacher. St. Jacome is the master of velocity studies- I probably spent more hours in this book than any other. His duets are also really great!

3. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    My teacher is moving from Ireland to England, so I was just gonna plough into these books, as I have a whole month of free time. I was thnking Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing, (with the focus on Elementary/beginners/intermediate). I will just have to plough on. I am not sure if there are any teachers in Ireland who are familiar with his stuff, I guess I will have to phone around and see. Many thanks for your great advise, its really appreciated.:cool:

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    There are several of Claude Gordon's direct students that give lessons via Skype. You could contact one of them for a few lessons. I take lessons from Bruce Haag but you could also find Jeff Purtle or John Mohan as well.

Mark

5. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Nice one Mark, do you know how much they charge, and how you can pay not sure how it would work out with time differences ect.

Many thanks again
    Antony

:cool:

6. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure how payment works, but I'm pretty sure Bruce has students in the UK and Australia. So he's got it figured out.

As as for his charge, I would just contact him directly. Just google his name and you'll find his site. I don't want to speak for him on pricing, etc.

Mark

7. trumpetfart123

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Ok, many thanks Mark, Antony. :cool: