Clean Octave Jumps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Brent McBugler

Brent McBugler New Friend

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm sure this is a common topic among trumpet players, but I would like some personal feedback on the matter. When slurring from, for example: C below the staff, to third space C (or any other note to its higher octave) I always catch the note in between for a split second, so for that slur it would sound like C-G-C instead of a clean C-C. I want to know why this occurs, and how to remedy it (I assume lots of lips slurs are the cure?).

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My teacher prescribed the aa-oo-ee method of lip slurring and removing the oo part. So it would be aa-ee, aa-ee, aa-ee. Lots of air support and no undue pressure. Then lots of practice!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I thought it was ee-ii-ee-oo-uu. Oh well, really, octave slurs from the low to high note of each note in the chromatic scale and I'd be "on top of the world" with elation. It's always that F# on the top line of the stave that messes me up.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The truth is, it ain't really possible on a trumpet vis the only known instrument that comes closest is the slide trombone.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe its the Old McDonald method, ei -ii-ei-ii-oo! :roll:

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Slurring isn't just blowing harder and tightening your aperture. You need to be able to play the pitches. Don't play the notes in between. On the other hand, if you can play the gliss with all the notes which will fit the fingering, then that is good exercise. But it isn't slurring.
    It can help to practice the octaves tongued, and with breath attacks, to get the pitches right, and then slur.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You have to also hear the interval in your head. The better pitch you hear inside your head, the more likely the note is to come out.

8. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Practice it sloppily...lots...then try to tighten up as you go. It takes time, but you've got to go there back and forth for muscle memory to set in.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, it's all about timing and preparation. Assume the octave jump of C to c. G does lie in the middle, but by preparing the chops and "jumping" with the air we can get a clean slur. Badly described, I know, but that's how it feels.

Keep trying and you'll eventually puzzle thing out.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I always took the "slur" tie to indicate there is no gap between notes, and certainly no tonguing of the subsequent notes. So for a change from low C to the next C up I wouldn't think of the slur as meaning I transition slowly in any way from C to C (or E to E, F to F etc) but that I play the first note for its full duration then the next note without tonguing or delay. Because I'm not transitioning slowly from the first note to the second there shouldn't be any time for the intermediate note to lock in. My teacher demonstrated this to me and he was flawless - perfectly crisp, no short strangling sound or anything. He told me to practice this myself, to use my diaphragm/abdomen, not to try choking the flow of air (using throat or by backing off) as I transitioned from one note to the next. After a couple of weeks of working on this I felt I could do this much better. After getting the abdomen/diaphram "kick" working I then had to work on maintaining even control so the dynamic isn't changed, sounds even.

--bumblebee