Clean Octave Jumps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Feb 17, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is a mind thing. Think the note.... Hear the note... Be the note... then good air support from a well loaded diaphragm, and a Vulgano Brother Ray of Power, and you got it. It IS that simple.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Your chops (apeture) have a setting for low C, and a setting for middle G and then the C above.... leave out the G.

Go from the low set right to the high set, with appropriate tongue level and air support. Go slow until you get it. If you are slopping it up in the middle then slow down and concentrate on apeture focus and correct air support. aaahhh -eeeeee works, but has to have the airstream support.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Most player think that they need to push the upper note when in reality it is easier to stress the lower note and bounce to the upper note with less volume.

Try it you'll get on to it very quickly.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You'll hit every note in between without it. Many times what I see written is either a glissando up or just a straight line up.

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Was the "You'll hit every note in between without it". comment directed to my suggestion?

bumblebee likes this.
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The concise explaination is to actually set your aperature for the higher octave note and develop your skill at playing the lower octave while maintaining the smaller aperature. You can develop a very full sound in the lower register while not openning up your aperature and/ dropping your jaw.
    You might watch yourself in the mirror and see if there is alot of movement going on.
    I always wondered how the great pros could play all over the horn with little or no movement around there mouth. As I have reduced the diameter of the airstream in my aperature I have notice a marked reduction of movement and an ease for moving across intervals. It took me a year of working on this to be able to play with a full sound in the lower register. It was really frustrating as well. I would highly reccomend an instructor before undertaking any embrochure changes by the way.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we read the "How a trumpet works" thread, it is clear what is necessary.

Changing pitches means "overblowing" the fundamental tone of the instrument precisely. The trumpet is not a megaphone that simply amplifies our buzz. It is a resonant object that forces our lips to vibrate at the frequency determined by the overblown state. As soon as we embrace the resonance of the horn instead of fighting it, our playing increases in quality dramatically! All of this AH-EE-AH stuff is not even 10% of the story. Those "descriptions" ignore body use, breath support and fine motor control of the face muscles.

There are several approaches to developing better interval slurring. NONE OF THEM ARE PLUGIN TYPE ADD-INS FOR OUR CURRENT PLAYING. All of them start with the basics of breath support that make our breathing big enough to support the interval, keep our diaphragm, upper body/throat relaxed enough to let the air/lips/trumpet resonance negotiate the rest. Then comes hundreds (to thousands) of repetitions to secure the patterns in our brain for future recall.

If a player for instance negotiates octaves currently with arm pressure, no amount of Old MacDonald will "EVER" help get clean octave slurs. Get the fundamentals right and the rest falls into place.

Just for the record: the aperature does not need to be necessarily "smaller" for higher notes. We, when everything else is in order, merely require somewhat more "tension" in the embouchure. That can be achieved by focussing the muscles inwards - but there are also other valid techniques.

To give the thread owner "decent" advice we need to more closely examine what factors prevent the clean octave in the first place. Then it is possible to plan a functional course of action.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No, I partially quoted Jiarby regarding air support which I had previously mentioned and he just mentioned it again. Just reinforcing the premise through repetition.