Clean Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Sep 11, 2010.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I am getting my braces off this november, so I figure one thing I can work on now, that SHOULDN'T be affected after my braces come off, is my tonguing. I've actually always kinda, well, sucked at it. I can never get my fingers and tongue to line up perfectly, and when they do, my tonguing is either messy or too pecky, IMHO. I always feel like my tonguing holds me back. Its not, at all, horrible. Its pretty good, but its not up to par with the rest of my playing. What are the best tonguing exercises you guys know of?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Tongue/finger coordination should be build up slowly. Take Clarke studies SLOWLY, lightly tongued. GRADUALLY speed up only when it gets easy. Try starting at slower than 60 bpm.

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Using a metronome will help tremendously!

Ciao,
    Bruce

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The real key is proper air support. The air supports the lips AND the tongue. Timing and placement of the tongue are also key. It's something a teacher would need to show you. writing about it is like writing about how to swing a baseball bat. Example: how would I write about this instruction " make it sound like this" you can do Clarkes all day long and not do it right.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Yeah, I feel as if my teacher has told me a million times to squeeze my glutes to get the air moving. I've been off lessons for the summer, but how, for say, do you get rid of the "lazy tongue" is it just a matter of practicing the tonguing whenever you can. Such as while walking around, blowing air and simple tonguing out rhythms? My tongue has always hit high on the tooth, will hitting the middle of the tooth make a cleaner sound?