Clean your horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I feel like an absolute idiot.

For the last two days my playing and the Bb's response has felt sluggish. I'm thinking "What the heck?" and getting frustrated.

Then I thought "Could it be? Yes, it could. Something's dirty...nothing's good. If I would clean...".

After a good snaking and going over the mouthpiece the difference was unbelievable. I mean, the horn was stable again and the sound buttery and free. Good grief, I felt stupid to let it get like that. But, in my defense, I guess I'll say that it's an insidious process and I'll just have to mark something on the calendar every month and make it a regular date with my horn's insides. Maybe it won't be as disgusting if I make it a regular thing. I'll probably clean it once more before I leave for Puerto Rico at the end of this month.

Now, the lot of you... go clean your horns!!!

ML

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Same thing if you notice valves starting to get boggy and no matter how much you might wipe them out and reoil the situation doesn't get any better. Clean the ENTIRE horn paying particular attention to the use of the snake ... 'cause you've been blowing crud out of the pipes and into the moving bits. I once found that there was stuff floating in the washtub (plastic, green, trumpet washing, for the use of) and it was "Eeewwwww". Valves are happy again. Trumpet gets cleaned more frequently.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Even the great ones..... Do you ever use those herco balls/wads you blow through inbetween cleanings?

4. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster New Friend

Dec 30, 2005
    North Carolina
    Your advice is my command...I typically do a pretty good job of keeping my trumpet clean, but your post was a good reminder after a busy Christmas season at church.

My father in law, who also plays trumpet in the church band, had the same problem right before our Christmas concert. He cleaned his trumpet for the first time in a very long time...Wow, it looked almost new when he was done.

Ray

(Long time lurker...first time poster)

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    We're supposed to clean them???

Inside????

-cw-

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Chuck, Manny - ewwwwwww! Cooties!

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    OMG I didn't think that term was still around! I'm talking from the 60s! That is cool.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I cleaned mine yesterday. Valves sluggish. Pulled out all sorts of green crap. I try to every 4-6 weeks.

Oh from She who must be obeyed. Make sure you clean the bathtub when you are done cleaning your horns.

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I use the laundry tubs in the basement. Easier than the bathtub,

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Safer too, if they are plastic.