Clean your horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 2, 2006.

1. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    What is a REKA Kit and where can I get one, some one mentioned it earlier in a post.
    Ariel

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a REKA kit and it is very nice. I cannot remember where I bought it, but I am sure it was some place like WW/BW. I am too lazy to Google it for you right now....LOL. ;-) The company is German, out of Monheim.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    REKA make cleaning kits for various instruments including French Horns. Their "snake" consists of a small, plastic ball on the end of what seems to be a very strong, plastic "line". The other end of the line terminates in an orange, foam ball.

Since there is not tuning slide to remove on an Eclipse trumpet in the leadpipe, you pull the 3rd valve out and poke the small end of the snake into the port where the leadpipe terminates. Once you've got the snake started you poke it through until the small ball comes out the receiver. Then you pull the snake through until the orange foam reaches the opening in the 3rd valve and you "wriggle" it into place so that it can be drawn into and through the leadpipe with one pull. A drop of soap or oil really helps, especially the very first time you use the kit. It will not jam up in the venturi if you make the pull smooth enough.

For cleaning ports and sections of tuning slides there is another foam ball on the end of a plastic stick. There is also a larger one for doing the valve bores.

As Alex said, WWBW http://www.wwbw.com/search/?src=REKA&x=31&y=4 .

The kit they make for French horn is sufficiently long that you can "snake" it right through the valve cluster.

Since there is NO metal or wire in this kit it is very safe for the innards of your instrument. Still, I'll use a normal valve "bottle brush" from time to time. The kit also includes a mouthpiece brush.

4. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    which kit do you suggest I get tootsall, the french horn one or the trumpet one, you mentioned something about the french horn snake being better.

5. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I had read somewhere that Clifford Brown never cleaned his horn. :dontknow:

6. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    heh i clean mine super often...it hardly gets that gross....
    but ...sometimes i get delinquient nevertheless
    i think the worst was when i had the stomach flu and kept playing
    i cleaning that thing a hundred times that week to get rid o the germs lol

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    French Horn kit is not better. The snake is longer as is required by the extra tubing of a french horn. Trumpet kit is perfect for trumpet/cornet/flugel.

8. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you for the info tootsall, I am going to be purchasing this real soon. I just gave my horns bathes about two days ago too. I think I might get a better result with the cleaning of the horn with the REKA Kit.
    Ariel

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Ariel, you are right. The results are much better than brushes. Aside from not having any metal parts (as Toots said), the swabs are made of a rubber sponge. They fit perfectly as to form a seal with the walls of the tubing. One of the swabs is for the valve casings and works great. I have never felt good about using brushes there. Anyway, that seal guarantees that anything in the horn gets swabbed out. Brushes can leave a lot of grime behind and also require more repetition to do a thorough job. This kit is really worth the investment.

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Toots!

Thanks for the info on this kit. I have the Bach with the spring metal and brushes and have always not felt really good about putting it through my horn.

I am going to order this for sure.

Thanks again