Clean your horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    So, after i play those Italian festivals in the summer where they feed you calzones, raw clams and those outrageous rum cakes I should clean my horn?? Mouthpiece too?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    It's also a good idea for those of us with horns that we don't play every day to remember that, somehow, horns get dirty just sitting there. I had an old student horn that I had professionally cleaned but when I picked it up after maybe 6 or 8 months, it was disguisting. I don't really understand that, but it woudn't be the first time...

-Jimi

3. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    cleaning

If you don't swab your leadpipe and tuning slide out every day, those of you that have a lot of acid in your saliva will have leadpipes( and tuning slides) that will rot out from the inside. Snake out your leadpìpe, and look down there. If you see craters on the sides, then you are seeing the pitting that has already occured. Gotta swab out those leadpipes with a clarinet swab cut down, so that they don't get stuck in the leadpipe. Some of you will have smooth leadpipes ( on the inside) even though you've never swabbed or cleaned your horn.(It's your body chemistry). You don't need to worry about this. But the rest of you HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Unless the leadpipe is made out of nickel silver, it will rot out even on the most expensive trumpet!

4. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    So you say to clean the horn....

But how do you suggest going about cleaning it? I have heared to let it sit in a bathtub of luke warm water and some dish soap. Do you suggest something else?

--JD

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    i just toss my horns over a cliff, and get new one,s :lol:

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Which cliff? Can I find it on Google Earth? ;-)

7. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    brasssaver.com trumpet kit.
    Since buying one I have used it almost every day on lead pipes and tuning slides, once a week on the other parts. The 5 horns I play most (Bb and C LT2000 ,Lechner C , P54 and Blachburn D) are almost like new when I pick them up to play.

8. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got one of the trumpet set a couple weeks ago. I agree, these are the best brushes I have had. They have no metal, so there is no risk of scratching. Great tool!

9. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I just heard from Gretchen at Monette and my repair is complete and my horn is on it's way back to me, perfect in every way. Now I just have to make sure that I do my job and keep it clean and well lubricated on a much more frequent basis. I should get it back on Monday, just in time for my presentation in my kindergartener's classroom (a repeat performance from last year, this time with my middle son!).

Life is good!

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah no kidding... :shock: