Clean your horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Those are all really good ideas Christine...

My band director used to always warn us about those things as I had band right after lunch...

He'd say, "You better wash your mouth out or all your doing is blowing what you had for lunch into your instrument."

I try to generally do as you do!

Good Points :-)

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I am not proud of this and am not boasting here.....but in highschool me and another trumpet player would sometimes go outside and hit the one hitter a few times before band....Gawd I was easily influenced!!! :-P . The only "complaints" we ever got was from the Sax section we sat behind, they could smell it coming thru our horns :play: !!! A couple of them would turn around and smile or else give us this look like "you two are insane, burnouts who play trumpet?!?" I guess better that then getting hit in back of the head with a piece of tater-tot or something. :dontknow:

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The first time I used the REKA I was afraid that the ball was going to get stuck in the leadpipe also so instead of just "ripping it through", I stopped and I read the instructions where it says quite clearly to work some soap into the ball before you use it. Since the ball was now firmly wedged into the leadpipe I just dribbled some soap down the leadpipe to the ball. After that there were no more problems; the ball just slid on through. It seems that when the kit is new andunused, then the ball MUST be soaped in to help it get through. I've never felt concern since, never had to "soap" the ball since, (and I've never had the ball come off). It also helps to pull the snake through "in one continuous motion".

You are right, however, that if the leadpipe is particularly small (cornet?) then you do need to be paying attention to the details. Still, the REKA is the ONLY way to clean an Eclipse leadpipe properly.

4. gregtrum84

gregtrum84 New Friend

Oct 19, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've found that using white vinegar really cleans well...the acid content is only about 5% in those big jugs you can get at the store. I just put the valve bottoms and any non-laquered (sp) parts in the vinegar for a while and then you can brush out all the built up crap. It also works well when you pour some in the bell and jiggle the horn around...dissolves most of the junk. I tried this last time I cleaned my horn and it cleaned my valves and slides so well it seemed too good to be true...are there any repair people out there who know about this method and if it is safe for the horn? Any thoughts on the affects vinegar or other weak acids have on the laquered parts of the horn?

It was Mike Roylance of the BSO who showed me this trick so I took it on good faith that it was a safe thing...but then it cleaned so well I figured acid that strong had to be doing something to the metal. Thoughts?

Thanks!

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I've used vinegar from time to time too with the valves and it seems to work really well.

Michael McLaughlin

Famous redneck last words: "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For you vinegar fans: check out the definition of "verdigris", find out the scientific name for the acid in vinegar and what metals go into making brass before you try cleaning your horns that way again. This is why I like vitamin C, and don't forget to kill the acid in the rinse.

7. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Uncle Rob!!! I'm telling my mom!!! :soap:

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Louis Armstrong used to clean his out every day.

I wa sonc eplaying Euphonium with a brass band and was sent to one of the retired members to pick up the instrument he had that nelonged to the band.

The bow of the bell actually had flat mushrooms growing in it.
    The lead pipe was almost fully closed up.

I bought an old selmer trumpet from an old big band player who had proudly stated that he never cleaned his instrument out.
    The leadpipe on that had a gap of about 3mm through the hard gunge which was rather like ear wax.

However, when I cleaned it out there was no corrosion.
    I think the gunge was partly slide grease and it had protected the metal.
    He had been playing that instrument for about 25 years with no cleaning.

Its amazing what people get away with,

9. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I've had my Eclipse for about 10 months and decided to put it in the exo-clean chemical bath. I have run literally hundreds of horns through this vat with no problems. I put my Eclipse in and the gold finish came out badly stained. I freaked. I tried washing it off with soap and water. I tried silver polish. Then I talked to John Lynch. He does a lot of gold and silver plating. He said try Tarnex. I used it and the stains came right off. I was relieved.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    In the 80's I lived in Denton Texas. I ran a repair shop while I was a student. One of the trumpet players from the Ft. Worth Symphony brought his horn in. He couldn't get it to play a low G or F#. I looked at the mouthpiece and could not see through the throat. I pushed a huge mouthpiece booger out of it with a brush. The horn played great. It was a miracle!