Cleaning a leadpipe between baths

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    After each practice, I run a snake through the leadpipe to remove "leftovers". I have some Alysin cleaner that I want to use to augment the snake ( maybe once a week). What can I make to get a cloth, wet with cleaner, through the entire pipe? A small wooden dowel would go through OK but I can't figure out how to attach the cloth. Or what other suggestion might you have. I like a CLEAN horn.
    Thanks for reading,

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use a trumpet leadpipe swab purchased at my local music store. I actually have two. I spray one with the cleaner and pull through. Then I pull the dry one through. Works like a charm. You can also just flush the horn out by running water through the bell out the reciever. Then run your snake thriugh the leadpipe. and dry with the swab.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Get some heavy duty string and you can pull it through that way - I know a fellow who makes his own leadpipe swabs with that and old shirts

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I use a small scrap of bathing scrubbie,{ thin nylon mesh }, tied to a doubled up piece of 80lbs monofilimant fishing line, looped back into a noose to hold the piece of scrubbie. To pull this through the plumbing I use a couple of small split shot fishing sinkers. I have probably made 50 of these for trumpet playing friends over the last five years. Everyone claims that they are the best cleaning tool that they have found.

OLDLOU>>

5. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Good ideas folks but how do you get the string or fishing line through the pipe in the first place? It's like putting a wet noodle in a long small pipe. Or , Lou, is that what the split shot is for?

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Bob Reeves lead pipe swab is the perfect answer and is available in many music stores in person, on line, or from Reeves himself.
    It works great and is around $8.00.
    RT.

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Try and attach a small weight to the end of your string. Gravity will take care of the rest

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Buy a jar of (what the commercial trade name is) SPITBALLS.

They are awesome, and I'm a sicko, because the instructions say to throw away after use; I put them right back in the jar of solution for another round, then I throw away. A bad idea, but I was never interested in biology class.... probably because I got to sit next to Betty Colson. I love you Betty, (unless you're fat).

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Indeed!!!

OLDLOU>>

10. Ocdlaw

Ocdlaw New Friend

Jul 13, 2015
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA
    I use one of my rifle cleaning rods and patches.