Cleaning a Rotary Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jwmrks, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Seth, I think I have about the same age and I have the same opinion as you. Maybe BBM is a very nice kid but somewhere there is something not right on the tracks.
    And I really think that for the same reason (I mean the tracks) he will complete ignore posts like yours.
    And maybe some people here are too nice for him. It's interesting to watch his trying on TH where he was completely ignored and stopped very soon with his "advices".

2. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    I come from the hippie era, so it's all good man. Besides, it's our differences that make us unique so more power to BBM (though I personally will continue to disregard his advice).

Not 24/7? What am I paying for then? That's it. I want my entry fee back. :lol:

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Good instructional video, my only issue is the use of a steel hammer on the valve spindle, like Rowuk I use a plastic hammer or a piece of wooden dowel between the hammer and spindle, a tight bearing plate and a steel hammer can distort the end of the spindle with other problems appearing.

Regards, Stuart.

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I have dismantled a whole double horn but not on a rotary.
    I am sorry if I criticised you sir.
    As other members referenced but I am a kid but certainly crazy on rotaries.
    I was just saying that because Russian hooters weren't the best on the market.
    Though you are seem heavily offensed I am sorry.
    I am sorry if I have annoyed any other members of TM.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BBM,

I see advice without real, personal experience as an "issue". I have told you before that copy/paste advice is VERY easy to identify - the context is missing.

As far as the quality of the russian instrument goes, in your case I would not be so sure even about the quality of the Sinfonie horn that you have. It is not like the Russians did not have good artisans - their problem (identical to the East German and Czech artisans before the wall came down in 1989) was getting top quality brass.

You could do so well here if you stopped trying to be an expert on things that you know nothing or little about. JWMRKS is so correct - we are unique and that is good. We all have our areas of interest and expertise. You seem to confuse the two. So just lean back and enjoy the ride more instead of filling up with diesel in cars designed for high octane gasoline. This has NOTHING to do with age. I have often reflected on what makes a REALLY GREAT student. Top on my list in order of significance are common sense, ability to analyse their playing and ask questions about what they discover, ability to apply emotional and process lessons learned to other areas in their life, then comes dedication to the horn, patience once process is understood. This shortlist would apply to any other area of student/teacher relationship.

About the Dowids webpage: I would say DON'T unless you are at home in disassembling the valves. If we loosen scale up, it can get stuck in the valves. The rotary construction does not wear like pistons, loose scale will cause blockage or damage. I know Gerd Dowids and generally those that read his web site know that they can call him if something doesn't work. Repairs are the major portion of his business. Building world class instruments comes after that. He has a unique process for helping his customers get "their" horn. I have not run into this method anywhere else.

Sorry for interrupting the thread.........

barliman2001 likes this.
  6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Don't be too hard on BBM. He did the right thing - told the OP to take the hooter to a tech, and for emergencies, sent a link that comes from Gerd Dowids himself, one of the most competent trumpet builders in the world today, and that I sent him in similar circumstances.

No blame on BBM for doing that!

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

He sent two tips:
    One - take if to a tech. That is always applicable.
    Two - he sent a link. He got that link from me, and the source is Gerd Dowids himself, from the website Gerd Dowids - Meisterwerkstatt für Blasinstrumente.

So there is no "own thinking" in the whole process - he just handed well-known expertise on. And that is something not to be criticized.

I am in full support of his post in this matter, and he does not need to apologize.
    Perhaps some of you might apologize to him, as obviously you sent your comments without first looking at the link.

8. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thank you barliman.

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Now we have two kids.
    I am worried now because reasonable arguments give here a sorcerer's apprentice reaction.

10. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Now that is offensive.
    God Bless Trumpetmaster's ignore list system.
    Your posts are still on the list and I am quite enjoying the experience.